Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Road Trip

1. May 7, 2008 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Road-Trippers Confident They'll Set Record
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90245843
    http://greatamericanroadtrip.us/

If you're young, single and have time on your hands . . .

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

If i had the funds and the time i would take a year out to tour the US, i have plenty of internet
    mates that share my love of old Britbikes over there, what a year that would be.

4. May 7, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder when the previous record was set and what the speed limits were then? Raised speed limits certainly could help. I wonder what they plan for the return trip. I could never do a trip like that...I need to stop for too many potty breaks. :rolleyes:

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    Just use one of those special little bags.

6. May 7, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm kind of thinking the guys on this road trip will be spending the week after they return getting the car detailed to get rid of all the odors that a group of guys trapped in a car together for 5 days straight without stops other than for gas can emit (I guess they will fuel the car and empty the bottles at the same time?) :yuck: That, or watch for the car to appear on eBay.

7. May 7, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I worked with an engineer from overseas who was visiting the US on behalf of his company. They paid for him to spend several months in the US for training. His family joined him for several weeks. Toward the end of his term, he went on a two week vacation, in which he rented a car with unilimited milage. He then drove around the US and put about 11,000 to 12,000 miles on the car. I would have loved to seen faces on the agents when he returned the car. :rofl:

8. May 7, 2008 #7
    The website states they'll end up covering 7,500 miles by the end of it. If that's true, with the Scion XB's getting about 28mpg hwy, they'll end up consuming ~268gal of gas and spending almost right at $1,000! Thats assuming an average of $3.75 a gallon, though.

It's sad to think that barely ten years ago the same trip would have cost only ~$300. Even less than that if they were driving, say, an '88 base model Civic hatchback

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?