1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roadblock in trig identity

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1

I am trying to prove [tex]\frac{tanx+1}{tanx-1}=\frac{secx+cscx}{secx-cscx}[/tex]

I am working on the right side and trying to get it to the same form as the left side.

I get to [tex]\frac{1+2sinxcosx}{sin^{2}x-cos^{2}x}[/tex] which I COULD apply the fact that sin2x=2sinxcosx as well as cos^2x-sin^2x=cos2x (after multiplying both top and bottom by -1) but that gets me to

[tex]\frac{-Sin(2x)-1}{cos(2x)}[/tex] which looks completely useless!

Anyone see something I don't? Just point me in the right direction :) Thanks again :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2
    oh my god why didn't I see that! lol. I was looking at that step ( I had the exact same work shown) and thought that was an important step, but dividing by cos x just never popped into my head, lol. Anyways, thanks a ton :).
  4. Oct 13, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, starting from
    and multiplying the numerator and denominator of the right side by sin x gives the result immediately.
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4
    lol, how do you see this stuff? I don't even start thinking about solving it until at least the 3rd step. Maybe I answered my own question here... lol :)

Thanks to both of you, I am going to start looking for a way to immediately put it into the desired form at EVERY step from now on.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?