Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robert Boyle Flask

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    Hello everybody! I am new here and have not looked around much on the forum for an answer to my question, so sorry if this should be obvious to me but:
    I want to create a model of the Robert Boyle ever flowing flask for my class.

For those of you who do not know what this is, it is basically a funnel with a hose that goes from the bottom, around, and back into the top of the funnel to replenish the supply... hence... ever flowing.

Of all the videos on Youtube i have never seen one work well but i have recently come up with an idea. What if you put your mouth on the end of the hose and suck the water/soda/beer through until it reaches the end and flows into the funnel??? Would this be a type of venturi and would it work? I am planning on tying this but would like an answer is someone has one.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you guys can give me!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

You do know Boyle's flask is a perpetual machine, so it can't work, right?

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    I know that, but it seems like there would there would be more potential helping it start, instead of letting the liquid simply balance itself. I know i am grasping at straws but it seems so entertaining!

5. May 20, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Per the PF rules (see Info at the top of the page), discussions about pseudoscience are not allowed here. This includes PMMs. Thread is locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook