1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robinett's fourier transform

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Richard Robinett defined the Fourier transform with an exp(-ikx) and the inverse Fourier transform with an exp(ikx). I have always seen the opposite convention and I thought it was not even a convention but a necessity to do it the other in order to apply it to some Gaussian equations. Has anyone ever seen this sign convention before?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It really isn't relevant whether it's with a plus, or with a minus. I've seen in most cases

[tex]\phi (x)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\int dk \ \tilde{\phi}(k) e^{-ikx} [/tex].

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that the integration is from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex]. That's why the sign does not matter.

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    Furthermore, the constants in front also do not really matter, as long as they combine to give 1/(2 pi). There are a couple of theorems which depend on them (I think Parseval's theorem and the associated ones do), but it's all up to a constant. My supervisor (in physics) recommends just ignoring the constants, and adding them back in if you have to at the end :wink:

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    If you define the Fourier transform as dextercioby did:
    [tex]\phi (x)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\int dk \phi(k) e^{-ikx}[/tex]
    then the inverse transform is:
    [tex]\phi (k)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\int dx \phi(x) e^{ikx}[/tex]
    It is merely a matter of convention which is called which. There's no 'wrong' convention as long as you remain consistent.

On page 11 of 'Photons and Atoms' by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji et. al. the convention above is used. On page 97 of 'The Principles of QM' by P.A.M. Dirac, the convention is left deliciously ambiguous.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?