Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RoboDoc

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/31/eveningnews/main684453.shtml

The irony is that in many ways computers make much better doctors than do humans. It has been argued in the sci/tech media that the recall of facts and information required to make diagnoses and to prescribe treatments will be the computer's job, with humans providing higher level support and oversight... hopefully. :uhh:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I can envision myself have an obscene amount of fun after hijacking the command frequency for those things... :devil:

Which way to the gynecology ward?

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, somehow I just think I'd prefer having the doctor seeing the patients and the robot filling out charts and handling paperwork.

Suddenly the robot in our hospital seems so insignificant. We have one that runs around the hospital delivering supplies instead of needing to send staff out to pick up supplies. It's rather surprising the first time you run into it in the hospital basement because it looks pretty much like any other supply cart except it has a lens mounted in front (motion sensor or something so it doesn't run anyone over), so you think a supply cart is just moving on its own. It talks to the elevators too. :bugeye:

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That's pretty elitist! We have to push buttons on ours. :grumpy:

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, well us ordinary humans have to push buttons too, but the robot says, "Calling elevator" and the elevator arrives for it.

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

So just tape it, then play it back when you want a lift.

(I know, I know...it just says that for human benefit while radioing for the elevator. But why let reality get in the way of a cheap joke?)

8. Apr 2, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good thing you got that joke cheap. Wouldn't have wanted you to pay full price for it. :biggrin:

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the last time Danger paid full price for something was, hmm, no. Let's keep that our little secret...

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Yes, remember who your friends are. I didn't have to warn you, you know.

11. Apr 3, 2005 #10

it better not be running on windows....

12. Apr 3, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Cripes! That would bring a whole new definition to the term 'crash cart'. :eek:

13. Apr 3, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Apr 3, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, but I know perfectly well that at least 3 of you would have done the same thing. I just happened to get there first. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?