Robot Arm Design: Calculating Torque Needed

In summary, calculating the torque needed for a robot arm requires knowledge of the weight of the object, distance from the fulcrum, and angle of rotation. Other factors that affect torque include the speed and acceleration of the arm, as well as external forces like friction and gravity. The length of the arm also plays a role in determining the required torque. While there are standardized formulas for calculating torque, adjustments may be necessary for a specific robot arm design. To ensure accuracy, all relevant factors and potential sources of error should be considered, and consulting with a trained engineer or conducting thorough testing is recommended.
jmay
I am design a three jointed robotic arm that can lift 40 pounds. A diagram of the arm is attached.
How can I calculate the torque needed at each motor to lift the 40 pounds?

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
torque = distance times mass = e.g. Foot-Pounds

is that what you need?

That's how I've been doing the calculation. This finds the torque at the full extension of the arm. How can I find the torque need at half extension? Would I find the lifting angle and multiply by the sin of the angle?

1. How do you calculate the torque needed for a robot arm?

To calculate the torque needed for a robot arm, you will need to know the weight of the object being lifted, the distance between the fulcrum and the center of mass of the object, and the angle of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F*d*sin(theta), where T is the torque, F is the force, d is the distance, and theta is the angle of rotation.

2. What factors affect the torque needed for a robot arm?

The torque needed for a robot arm is affected by several factors including the weight of the object being lifted, the distance between the fulcrum and the center of mass of the object, the angle of rotation, and the speed and acceleration of the arm. Other factors such as friction, gravity, and external forces may also affect the torque needed.

3. How does the length of the robot arm affect the required torque?

The length of the robot arm affects the required torque because it determines the distance between the fulcrum and the center of mass of the object. A longer arm will require more torque to lift the same object compared to a shorter arm, as the distance from the fulcrum to the center of mass is greater.

4. Can you use a standardized formula to calculate the torque needed for any robot arm?

While there are standardized formulas for calculating torque, the specific design and mechanics of a robot arm may require adjustments to the formula. It is best to consult with the manufacturer or a trained engineer to ensure accurate calculations for a specific robot arm design.

5. How do you ensure the torque calculations are accurate for a robot arm design?

To ensure accurate torque calculations for a robot arm design, it is important to consider all the factors that may affect the torque, such as the weight of the object, the distance from the fulcrum, and the angle of rotation. Additionally, using precise measurements and taking into account any external forces or potential sources of friction can help ensure accuracy. It is also recommended to consult with a trained engineer or conduct thorough testing to verify the torque calculations.