1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robot Programming Language

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    Hello. I'm thinking about building a 2D pathfinding robot. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to suggest a programming language. I have experience in a few, but I also like trying new ones so I'm open to anything. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

What kind of hardware\operating system will the robot be running?

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it will depend on what hardware you use for control. It's best to choose what control system you are going to use before you choose a programming language.

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4
    Haha, um... no clue yet. I've only got the plans in the making. No hardware has been decided on. Speaking of which then, is there recommendations for that? I'd like to build neither a small nor extremely large one, but it will be fairly large. I actually wanted to model it after and be the size of K-9 from Doctor Who. So I guess recommendations on both the hardware and program language? I was thinking I'd like to try python. I've used python a bit and I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to use it a bit more.

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    If it's that big you can just put a laptop inside. Then you can use any language you want.

7. Nov 7, 2009 #6
    I have fooled around a bit with controlling motors, etc but I've only ever know qbasic. (haha, I know). The truth is, I've never personally ran into a situation that a nice easy qbasic program could not handle. Most controller I use are rather primitive, using serial connectors so you can control them from almost any language very easily.
    I'd LOVE to learn python, or C++, but I can never seem to wrap my head around them.

Good luck!

PS, X2 on using an actual computer CPU, this leaves options open and almost limitless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook