Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robot Typist (Safari -- Correct Spelling Automatically)

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Okay... enough is enough, already! How can I shut off whatever idiotic part of this program keeps replacing the things that I type with things that I don't want to type? I have to spend more time backing up and re-entering things than I do typing in the first place, and if I happen to miss one it makes me look like an idiot because a nonsensical word is there in place of what I typed. It's become far more than just annoying.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Danger, are you sure it is part of the forum software, and not some "feature" of whatever browser you use?

Can you give a more detailed example of what is happening, and list your browser/OS combination?

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3

Ryan_m_b

This isn't a feature of the forum that I am aware of. What browser and device are you using? A lot of tablets/phones have an autocorrect feature that can cause this sort of problem.

5. Oct 29, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, guys.
    I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina running Mavericks (OS 10.9.3) with Safari as my browser. This is what I had before the change in PF, and have never before encountered this problem here or anywhere else. There was a display malfunction which required me to send it to the shop for repair while PF was still in the old format. When I got it back, this is what I came to. Unless they did something really rude to it at the Apple store, I can't see any way that it isn't related to the site software. The only other thing that comes even close is that Google always puts up options when I'm part-way through entering something... but it has always done that and doesn't actually over-ride what I've typed.

6. Oct 29, 2014 #5
    In Safari, make sure Correct Spelling Automatically is not checked:

Edit > Spelling and Grammar >

7. Oct 29, 2014 #6

Ryan_m_b

8. Oct 29, 2014 #7

RonL

Gold Member

Sounds like trouble without having to use your "Truck Costume":w:)

9. Oct 29, 2014 #8

Borek

I wonder if they have not upgraded the software/changed defaults when fixing the computer. I have seen it with other devices.

10. Oct 29, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Jimmy! I do believe that you got it! I didn't even know that the bloody setting existed, and it obviously wasn't activated when I bought the computer. They must have buggered it up while replacing the display driver.
    In fact, now I know that you got it because I deselected it and then deliberately made mistakes while typing this post. They were flagged by the software, but not altered. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will name my first-born after you. (Unless it's a girl, in which case she will be named Murgatroyd.)

edit: Oh, more posts since I started. Yes, Borek, same thing and you're right. It's fixed now. Thank you.
    Ron... I'm still planning to use that truck costume. I'm just trying to make sure that I have the exhaust pipe positioned just exactly right...

11. Oct 29, 2014 #10

jedishrfu

I think this is just user error and the poor innocent computer is being blamed for the misuse of grammar.

12. Oct 29, 2014 #11

jtbell

Also check your browser settings. In the Mac OS version of Firefox, under Preferences --> Advanced, there's a "Check my spelling as I type" option which appears to be enabled by default. I just turned it off now.

I've had similar problems in other applications. For example, I use a MySQL database to keep track of my CD collection, and have a text file containing various SQL queries that I copy and paste into the MySQL command line in the Mac OS Terminal. After I upgraded to Mac OS 10.9, some of these queries started to fail. It turned out that the new version of the TextEdit application was using "smart quotes" instead of "plain quotes" whenever I edited an existing query and inserted quote marks; and MySQL doesn't recognize smart quotes. I had to go into the TextEdit preferences to turn this off.

13. Oct 29, 2014 #12

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't just Apple tablets. I had to find and turn off the equivalent tablet setting for my two android tablets (by two different manufacturers). It seems someone decided this should be 'standard behavior' for tablets.

14. Oct 29, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

A MacBook Pro Retina isn't a tablet; it's a $2,000 laptop. And Jimmy had it nailed; I deselected spell correction in Safari Preferences and now it's all good.
    (I hope that didn't sound snarky. I do appreciate the input even though it isn't applicable in this instance.)

Jt, what are "smart quotes"? I've heard the term before, but don't know what it means. The closest that I know of is back when Word Perfect would make sure to put a second quote input as a closing quote rather than the normal opening one. The only difference was in which direction the little tails faced.

edit: And in fact, since you're a Mentor, would you please close this thread after responding? (Or close it right away and respond by PM, or close it and don't respond if it suits you.) There's no point in pursuing this further since it has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  15. Oct 29, 2014 #14

jedishrfu

16. Oct 29, 2014 #15

jtbell

That's exactly what it is. Hitting single-quote or double-quote (shift-quote) on a US keyboard normally gives you "straight" quote marks: vertical, with no tails. Proper opening quotes curl one way, and closing quotes curl the other way. The "smart quotes" feature automatically gives you the correct one depending on context. For normal text, I like this, but for programming code, I don't. The programming languages I use recognize only the straight quotes.

17. Oct 29, 2014 #16

jedishrfu

Don't mention programming, I taught a C class once (my first one) and someone quoted some text using the single quote and the back quote to match the programming book which used smart quotes.

Of course the compiler bitterly complained about it, and I just didn't see it right away until fear coursed thru my veins then bingo I spotted the error.

The student even did the other unthinkable error of doing double quotes via two sequential single quotes and two sequential back quotes

Code (Text):

char *s = ``hello world'';

-- vs --
    Code (Text):

char *s = "hello world";

Quoting can be a real killer in bash scripts too where double quotes will accept and expand shell variables (the $xxx variables) whereas single quotes will not (' $xxx ' is ' $xxx ' when printed) and back quotes do command execution as in:

Code (Text):

echo `date`

18. Oct 29, 2014 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Holy crap! I love that song! I also loved the show. Did you know that the series "The Prisoner" was about the same character in an amnesic state who didn't realize that he had been a spy until the series finale episode? (That closing episode, by the bye, is one of the best things ever recorded. Even if you've never seen the series, you'll love that show without understanding why it's happening.) Oh, dem bones, dem bones gonna walk away. Dem bones... Well, I can't sing worth crap, so I'll leave you to Google it.

Jt, I remember specifically that we were taught in school to make our opening quotes like 6's and our closing quotes like 9's. This was back in '62. When I finally got my mitts on a typewriter in school, in '70, I was dismayed that it had only "generic" quotes. Since publishers and script supervisors accepted it, though, I got over it quickly. When writing or printing by hand, though, I still put the tails on them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  19. Oct 29, 2014 #18

jedishrfu

Yeah, I loved that show too. We anxiously awaited each episode in the summer and then it was over after 17 episodes never to surface again. I didn't know he had amnesia I always thought he was kidnapped and didn't by whom until the end revealed it was his own agency trying to find out why he really resigned.

We were also crazy about The Avengers, The Champions, Man from Uncle and the Wild Wild West... and a ton of other shows now long gone...

I guess we should start another thread...

20. Oct 29, 2014 #19

Borek

21. Oct 29, 2014 #20
    You're welcome. :cool: Glad that sorted it for you. I don't use Safari but I remember someone else on another forum having the same problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook