Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robotics- best pathway?

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    Hi I am a freshman college student, in a school of engineering.
    I have an interest in robotics. I would like advice regarding, which engineering, would be the best choice.
    For a future in robotics, which would be better mechatronics or computer systems engineering?

The main topics in robotics, I would think, would be the perception, and control systems.
    The computer systems degree, deals in hardware(embedded systems) and software.
    However, the mechatronics degree, places much importance on mechanical design and engineering, and suppliments that with electronics and programming courses.

-Any helpful advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    I am greatly interested in programming. Took to it like a fish to water. I am greatly interested in machines(humanoid machines, autonomous vehicles etc.). However, I find mechanical design quite tough. The technical drawing class is like a demo of hell.
    What should I do? How important is mechanical engineering topics in robotics?
    Isn't sensing, and control systems(the embedded hardware, software and AI) whats lacking in present day robots? Isn't that where all the action is?
    -Some insightful advice is greatly appreciated.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3

J77

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    Hi I am a freshman college student, in a school of engineering.
    I have an interest in robotics. I would like advice regarding, which engineering, would be the best choice.
    For a future in robotics, which would be better mechatronics or computer systems engineering?

The main topics in robotics, I would think, would be the perception, and control systems.
    The computer systems degree, deals in hardware(embedded systems) and software.
    However, the mechatronics degree, places much importance on mechanical design and engineering, and suppliments that with electronics and programming courses.

-Any helpful advice is appreciated.

6. Jul 16, 2009 #5
    Dear, as far as I know MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (Sub-field: Robotics) is the best for studying Robotics since it covers both programming and designing, which interest you.

In it, you can design anything you want in robotics.

Otherwise, study Engineering sciences (Sub-field: Modeling and simulation) + Logic designing(programming)

Choice is yours.

GOOD LUCK

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?