1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robotics graduate school advice

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    I would like to pursue a graduate degree, and I am set to graduate in Fall 2012. I would love if someone could give me a little advice tailored towards my current situation and goals.

Please and thank you! Here's my story...

I'm a computer engineering student entering my fifth year at University Of Central Florida. I have become interested in going to graduate school because I really love to learn, teach, and innovate. I have a 3.8 GPA. My extra curriculars have been:
    • A semester of research (unfortunately I never made enough headway to get published)
    • A year of physics tutoring
    • A year of working at lockheed martin as a software developer
    • Robotics club, a small competition
    • I'm beginning a job as a research assistant at a human-robot-interaction lab this summer.
    • My senior design project is a robotic chess board.
    • My electives are focused on AI robotics.

I only have two classes left (AI and senior design II). I will graduate this December. I need to decide where I'm going to grad school and when I will be applying.

The following are my goals
    • Receive financial assistance throughout my grad education so I don't have to live off of loans. I live very simply on about $12k a year currently and I would like to maintain a similar lifestyle and remain debt free.
    • Get a master's degree from a decent school.
    • Have the freedom to pursue a Ph.D. after a master's.
    • Possibly apply for a Ph.D. program straight away if I'm qualified

Sometimes I feel that I'm not a good candidate for these schools because I went to UCF and I don't have published research. I'm not sure where I stand. What I am sure of is that I'm genuinely interested in academia and I am a very hard worker.

If you could review that list of goals and help me come up with a decision, these are the questions I need to answer:
    • Do I apply to UCF only or to other schools?
    • Do I apply directly for a Ph.D. or for a master's?
    • Do I apply for spring or fall?
    • If I apply for Fall, what do I do until then? Graduate & work at a lab, Stay in school and take grad level UCF classes, or stay in school and double major in CS?

Thank you very much for reading.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted