1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robotics/Mechatronics

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    If I wanted to have a career working on and designing robotic and mechatronics systems should I double major in ME and EE or do a BS in ME and an MS in EE. Anyone have any advice on what the best option for this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2
    Not the first option...

4. Jul 22, 2017 #3
    Double major is overkill IMHO, but it may work for you.

Since your interest is "mecha - tronics" you need to determine the blend that suits your desires (time, effort, money, knowledge, training). For example, 50/50 ME/EE, or 60/40 ME/EE or 40/60 ME/EE, or what ever.

Example: I'm a BSME + Master's in Manufacturing Engineering (emphasis on automation). Worked in manufacturing automation, controls, and robotics for 30 years. I took some EE courses to augment my knowledge base, and learned by doing all the other stuff I wanted to know and needed for my various jobs. Now I teach at the university level. This past couple weeks I have been designing & building electrical & pneumatic control system panels for my lab's industrial robot stations. For which I also designed & fabricated all the stations, EOATs, mechanical components, too. And constructed the course to teach industrial robot fundamentals, math analysis, programming, workcell design, and constructed a series of homeworks & lab assignments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted