How can robust linear estimation be carried out in a non-linear context?

In summary, the function to be minimized depends on three parameters, one of which is nonlinear. The author suggests using a trisection method to find the nonlinear parameter and then using a robust linear estimation to guess the remaining parameters. However, it may be easier to use a linear method to calculate the parameters for each step of the nonlinear method. This simplifies the problem to a one-dimensional minimization. There is some uncertainty about the linearity of two of the parameters due to them being within absolute values.
borson
Hi and thanks to everyone for his/her attention. I have to minimize a function that depends on several parameters. The aim of minimizing that function is to actually guess these parameters, which are unknown. The thing is that the author of the pdf from which I have to make the calculations, does not specify very well how to carry it out. There are 3 parameters the function depends on (one of them nonlinear), and the author says that first off we have to figure out the nonlinear parameter, by trisecting a determined interval, and afterwards guess the spare ones by means of another function that will also have to be minimized by robust linear estimation. So here is where my doubts come, how should robust linear estimation be carried out in that context? What do yk and xk stand for?.

Here is the part of the pdf in which that function is shown:

you can find the whole pdf here:http://www.roulettephysics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Roulette_Physik.pdf

that function is in the 13 page.

thank you all for your attention and I hope you can help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
borson said:
There are 3 parameters the function depends on (one of them nonlinear), and the author says that first off we have to figure out the nonlinear parameter, by trisecting a determined interval, and afterwards guess the spare ones by means of another function that will also have to be minimized by robust linear estimation.

No, you don't have to figure out the nonlinear parameter first and guess the linear parameters afterwards. You need to calculate the linear parameters with a linear method for each iteration step within the non-linear method. This way you can reduce the three-dimensional minimization problem

[itex]S\left( {\eta ,\bar \Omega _f^2 ,\varphi } \right) \Rightarrow Min.[/itex]

to the one-dimensional problem

[itex]S\left( \varphi \right) = S\left( {\eta \left( \varphi \right),\bar \Omega _f^2 \left( \varphi \right),\varphi } \right) \Rightarrow Min.[/itex]

which is much easier to solve even if the funktions [itex]\eta \left( \varphi \right)[/itex] and [itex]\bar \Omega _f^2 \left( \varphi \right)[/itex] need to be calculated by linear minimization for every value ##\varphi##.

However, I'm not sure if the parameters ##\eta## and ##\bar \Omega _f^2## are really linear because they are within absolute values.

1. What is robust linear estimation?

Robust linear estimation is a statistical method used to find the best fitting line for a set of data points, even when the data contains outliers or errors. It is a more reliable approach compared to traditional linear estimation methods, as it takes into account the potential presence of outliers in the data.

2. Why is robust linear estimation important?

Robust linear estimation is important because it allows for more accurate and reliable results when analyzing data that may contain outliers. It is especially useful in fields such as finance, economics, and engineering, where outliers are common and can greatly impact the results of linear estimation methods.

3. How does robust linear estimation differ from traditional linear estimation?

Robust linear estimation differs from traditional linear estimation in that it uses robust statistical techniques to minimize the influence of outliers in the data. Traditional linear estimation methods, such as ordinary least squares, are more sensitive to outliers and can produce biased results.

4. What are some common robust linear estimation techniques?

Some common robust linear estimation techniques include the least absolute deviation method, the Huber method, and the Tukey biweight method. These methods use different approaches to identify and minimize the impact of outliers in the data.

5. How do I choose the most appropriate robust linear estimation method for my data?

The choice of robust linear estimation method depends on the characteristics of the data and the type of outliers present. It is recommended to try different methods and compare the results to determine which method is most appropriate for your data. Consulting with a statistician or using automated software can also help in selecting the most suitable method.