Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roche limits with a hint of internal bonds.

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have created a program that plots the orbit of a comet around our sun, as it orbits, a ratio between internal binding forces and tidal forces is calculated (this produces a Roche limit). I am using this equation to obtain the internal bonding force:
    F = (G * M * Mu) / (r ^ 2) 'I have taken Mu = 1 kg.
    Where r is the radius of the comet, M is the mass of the comet and the Mu is the mass of an object on the surface. I am wondering how I could include an extra component in this equation to make it more realistic. I want to take into account the extra binding forces caused by a shell of ice around the surface of the comet. I am not sure how to go about doing this. A shell of ice will result in a higher tidal force needed to break up the comet (Roche limit will be less). Any help on this will be very helpfull... lol.
    Many thanks!!!!

(Note: I will also apply this extra ice shell component to an inner liquid center, I hope to end up with four Roche limit models,
    1. Rubble-pile model (What I have already done)
    2. Rubble-pile with ice surface
    3. liquid sphere model (got data on this also)
    4. liquid sphere with ice shell model)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted