Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rock Bands

1. Oct 22, 2003 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ok i dont want this to end up a royal rumble between people who disagree with eachother, cos i know u guys (n gals) are much more civil than that.

Anyway, in an effort to boost my cd collection and my views on newer bands, i would appreciate it very much if u guys could tell me your favourite rock band/artist, it can be from whatever era as long as it is rock...so no punk music!!!

thanx

p.s i am personally torn between Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses, just to start you off!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2003 #2
  4. Oct 22, 2003 #3
    The Smashing Pumpkins

5. Oct 22, 2003 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Doors,
    Led Zepplin,
    Ozzy Osborn
    Pink Floyd

6. Oct 22, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Woohoo!

What about Bush.

7. Oct 22, 2003 #6
    Pearl Jam

8. Oct 22, 2003 #7
    Lake of Tears
    Iron Maiden
    Manowar
    -- ask for more if you like these guys

9. Oct 22, 2003 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Hey hey hey, i said favourite, just one! lol. hmm i know a lot of who like the doors but i havent heard any myself. so thats a mayb. Any song suggestions? Keep on with those posts!!

10. Oct 22, 2003 #9
    Waiting for the sun
    The crystal ship
    Love me two times
    When the music's over
    (it's not only one but I couldn't help myself )

11. Oct 22, 2003 #10
    Devin Townsend!!

12. Oct 22, 2003 #11
    GNR all the way.

13. Oct 22, 2003 #12

megashawn

Science Advisor

Hmm. I have a hard time claiming a single band or song as my favorite.

As many know, I have to vote for In Flames.

As for modern rock, well, Disturbed, Godsmack, Deftones, 3rd Strike, Quarashi (kinda rap-rock, but it still rocks), and I'll probably get stoned for this, but I really think Limp Bizkit is trying to make a decent try with there most recent album.

Alot of people like Foo Fighters, Fuel, The Ataris (remade "Boys of summer") uhhh, just to much.

And of course the kings of metal, Pantera.

14. Oct 22, 2003 #13
    stone him!!!

Well, if nobody else wants to stone him, I'll be glad to do that now.

15. Oct 22, 2003 #14

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

jimmy p, if you don't have Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, ignore what everyone else has said and go buy it right now.

If you do have it... I don't know how your tastes are, but probably the most underrated rock album of all time, imo, is Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix. If you like more modern sounding stuff, I highly recommend A Northern Soul by The Verve. It's not traditional straight up rock, and it's a bit on the dark side, but if you ask me no one creates whole atmospheres with the guitar like the Verve guitarist Nick McCabe.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  16. Oct 23, 2003 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

I have Dark Side of the Moon n some hendrix lol. Oh yeah u'll get stoned for limp bizkit, megashawn Tell me more Huybrush, lol this could also help me with that 'what comes next thread' lol

17. Oct 23, 2003 #16
    you could go with the bad stuff:
    Anathema
    Amorphis
    My Dying Bride
    Tiamat
    Cradle of Filth
    Dimmu Borgir

18. Oct 23, 2003 #17

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget Roadhouse Blues, or Riders on the Storm.. and of course there's Light My Fire but everyone already knew that.

19. Oct 23, 2003 #18

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'Some' Hendrix? You don't have Hendrix if you don't have Electric Ladyland. :wink:

20. Oct 23, 2003 #19

megashawn

Science Advisor

What is with all the hatred towards LB? They pretty much created this entire new trend of music, and now they've even started to get away from it back to a more rock sound.

And aside from the techno spelling of Limp Bizkit in "Behind blue eyes" remake, they did an awesome job. Hell, even Fred picked up and learned the Bass after losing Wes, and I think there newest album is better then ever.

But opinions are like asses, and there is alot of music to listen too.

I mostly just curious why so many people dislike LB? And even still why so many people dislike them, but there album sales do so good?

PS. About the stoning.

Apparently, you've never ridden much dirt bikes. I'm used to deflecting rocks at 50 mph on a two wheeled machine. Give me yer best shot.

21. Oct 24, 2003 #20
    Limp bizkit, just dont appeal to me, the one song that i do like from them is "Behind Blue Eyes" but i am a Big Fan of the Who, and their origional version is alot better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?