What is the surface height of a still pond after an object is dropped in it?

• Thread starter Michael12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pond Rock
In summary, Michael had an idea for a project involving a formula for the surface height of a body of water after an object is dropped in. He was looking for a solution that didn't require a time-dependent equation, but a general equation would also be helpful. He has been searching for a solution online and is comfortable with undergrad level math and physics. He is willing to do some heavy lifting and is also open to any resources that can be recommended. One resource that was suggested is the book "Water Waves" by J J Stoker, which is available online and includes formulas, graphs, and photos.
Michael12345
I had an idea for a project that would make use of a formula for the surface height of a body of water after an object was dropped in it. I wouldn't need a time-dependent equation, just a nice snapshot...although a general equation (a function of x, y, and t) would be nice. I haven't had much luck finding a solution online, but I'll keep looking. I'm comfortable with undergrad level math and physics, so I don't mind doing some heavy lifting. And if you don't have the time, but can point me to a resource or two, I'd appreciate that, as well.

Thanks,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
An excellent and very thorough book on the subject is "Water Waves" by J J Stoker. And by good luck the full text is available online at www.archive.org. Sect 6.6 is "Discussion of the motion of the free surface due to disturbances initiated when the water is at rest." On or about p 170. Included are formulas, graphs and some photos, although the photos don't show up very well online.

What happens when a rock is dropped in a still pond?

When a rock is dropped in a still pond, it creates ripples on the surface of the water. These ripples spread out in all directions from the point of impact.

Why do ripples form when a rock is dropped in a still pond?

Ripples form because the rock creates a disturbance in the water when it enters the surface. This disturbance causes the water molecules to move, creating a wave-like pattern on the surface of the pond.

What factors affect the size and shape of the ripples?

The size and shape of the ripples are affected by the size and weight of the rock, the height from which it is dropped, and the density of the water. The shape of the pond and any obstacles in the water can also impact the ripples.

How far do the ripples travel?

The distance the ripples travel depends on the energy of the impact and the surface tension of the water. In general, ripples can travel several meters before dissipating.

Do the ripples eventually disappear?

Yes, the ripples will eventually disappear as the energy from the impact is dissipated and the water returns to its still state. The time it takes for the ripples to disappear depends on the size and energy of the impact, as well as the conditions of the water and the environment.