1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rock on string

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    as shown: in the picture, look at figure d) (attachment) don't worry about figure a) --- given:

720 gm rock

each string has a tension of 29 N

the rock is held by two of the 45 cm strings with ends 56 cm apart and whirled in a circle between them. Neglect gravity.
    What is the radius of the circle of motion?

what is the maximum speed the rock can have before the string breaks?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hmm, this is a curvilinear trajectory dealing with only normal acceleration component (radial), apply Newton's 2nd Law. Now that i think about it you can calculate the radius throught trigonometry :smile:. If you have any more questions i will come back later today, after a good night sleep.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  4. Jul 15, 2005 #3
    well, i found the radius to be 35.22 cm. and i also found the respective angle between direction of acceleration and the string tensions. from each string to the r as shown, angle is 38.48 degrees. but i don't know where to go from here

5. Jul 15, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yes now you need to apply Newton's 2nd Law

Now with [itex] \theta [/itex]

[tex] T \cos \theta + T \cos \theta = m \frac{v^2}{R} [/tex]

solve for v.

6. Jul 15, 2005 #5
    didn't work cyclovenom,

but how did you come up with that equation?

7. Jul 15, 2005 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It should have worked, well the Tension have 2 components, one of them is acting radially, and because there are two tensions both of them hace 1 component acting as the centripetal force. Rememeber to convert the mass of the rock to kilograms!.

8. Jul 15, 2005 #7

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Horizontal components of T:
    [tex]T_x = Tcos\theta[/tex], where [tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{d}{2s})[/tex], where d = 0,56m and s = 0,45m

So, the equation solves into:
    [tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{2Tcos(sin^{-1}(\frac{d}{2s}))\sqrt{s^2-(\frac{d}{2})^2}}{m}}[/tex]

In my markings [tex]sin^{-1} = arcsin[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?