What is the allure of rock stars?

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about the odd fascination with rock stars and their lifestyle, the attraction to bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead, and the possible reasons for this attraction. It also mentions favorite songs and bands, and the desire to live a rock star lifestyle without the negative aspects.
dekoi
As I type this, I listen to “The Zephyr Song” by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I have just begun to contemplate odd ideas. I don’t understand why I feel some sort of awkward attraction for the life of rock stars -- especially eccentric, intelligent, and such wild ones. I am a practicing Christian, and have a good understanding of what good music really is. I do not appreciate the whole "drugs-and-alcohol" extravagance incorporated in the life of rock-and-roll stars. But I can’t help having some sort of fascination with bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead. They seem so abstract and complete in fortitude. Is it their hardships and successes that attract me/us? After all, the lead singer of RHCP endured years of drug addiction, and is now drug-free. Or is it their seemingly philosophical lyrics (which I’m not even sure they intended to write)? Maybe inspirational lyrics and/or music? I can’t seem to pin point what it actually is.

Am I the only one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course not, if you were the only one they wouldn't have an audience.

dekoi said:
As I type this, I listen to “The Zephyr Song” by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I have just begun to contemplate odd ideas.
Yeah, you got to love that, try pink floyd next, put on some headphones and listen to Interstellar Overdrive.

Smurf said:
Yeah, you got to love that, try pink floyd next, put on some headphones and listen to Interstellar Overdrive.

Over a 100 Pink Floyd Songs already on my hdd.

They came first in my life. :smile:

Although i haven't heard Interstellar Overdrive.

Have you heard Under the BRidge by RHCP ?

I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW

Smurf said:
Of course not, if you were the only one they wouldn't have an audience.
But sometimes I'm not too sure whether the audiences are just fans of the band(s) because of their "pop-factor". I always thought the majority of the audiences are fans just because they enjoy the whole renegade idea behind rock stars.

Smurf said:
I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW
Some of my other favourite RHCP songs:

Road Tripping
Porcelain
Other Side
Suck my Kiss
Scar Tissue
Parallel Universe
By the Way
My Friends

Got any favourites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I guess your probably right about the pop-factor. But oh well, I know lots of people who appreciate the music talent.
Favourites?
by RHCP:
Give it away now
Can't stop
By the way

But my favourite band is still NOFX:
Franco Unamerican
The Idiots are coming over
The Separation of Church and Skate
Last Caress
Bob

Last edited:
Proper rock n roll stars are the Stones, The WHO, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne Motley Crue and Guns N Roses. Thats the lifestyle i would go for, try not to become a heroin addict though but trashing hotel rooms, causing riots and fighting with the press is what i want to do.

What is the allure of rock stars?

The allure of rock stars can be attributed to a combination of factors, including their musical talent, rebellious image, and glamorous lifestyle. They often have a charismatic and confident stage presence that captivates audiences and makes them feel like they are part of something exciting and edgy.

Why do people idolize rock stars?

People idolize rock stars because they represent a sense of freedom and nonconformity. Their music and image often challenge societal norms and inspire fans to break away from the status quo. Additionally, rock stars are often seen as larger-than-life figures, living out fantasies of fame and success that many people aspire to.

What makes a rock star different from other musicians?

A rock star is typically associated with a specific genre of music, namely rock and roll. They often have a unique and distinctive sound, as well as a rebellious and flamboyant image. Unlike other musicians, rock stars are also known for their wild and excessive lifestyles, which adds to their allure and mystique.

Do all rock stars have a similar appeal?

No, not all rock stars have the same appeal. While they may share certain common traits, each rock star has their own unique style, image, and sound that attracts fans. Some may be known for their musical virtuosity, while others may be admired for their eccentric personalities or daring fashion choices.

Is the allure of rock stars universal?

The allure of rock stars is not universal, as different cultures may have varying attitudes towards rock music and celebrity culture. However, rock stars have a global fan base and their music has transcended borders and language barriers. Additionally, many people are drawn to the universal themes and emotions expressed in rock music, making it a widely appreciated genre.