1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rock thrown from roof

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1
    A rock is thrown from the roof of a building with a velocity v_0 at an angle of alpha_0 from the horizontal. The building has height h. You can ignore air resistance.

Calculate the magnitude of the velocity of the rock just before it strikes the ground.

2. Relevant equations
    V=V_0 + at
    X=V_0t + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    v_0(sin(alpha_0))-2(v_0)
    The catch is that when i put the answer into the system, it told me that v_o and alpha_0 are not part of the answer. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, there are other kinematic equations, and I presume you would need to use the height, so look into the equations involving height. Do you know what constants the answer should be expressed in?

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Or, don't bother about sub-equations at all!

Instead:
    What is the FUNDAMENTAL equation of motion valid for ALL CLASSICAL PHYSICS PROBLEMS?

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    I also need help with this.... is the equation you're talking about v = x/t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?