1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rock thrown on planet Mongo

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    Q:
    Your starship, the Aimless Wanderer, lands on the mysterious planet Mongo. As chief scientist-engineer, you make the following measurements: a 2.50-kg stone thrown upward from the ground at 15.0 m/s returns to the ground in 7.00 s; the circumference of Mongo at the equator is 1×10^5 km; and there is no appreciable atmosphere on Mongo. What is the mass of Mongo?

well i started out by finding the acceleration of the rock. I used V=V_o + at and from the problem, v_o = 15, and t=7.

Then I used F=ma to get the gravity force.

Then I used the general formula for force due to gravity. from the problem I used: R=1*10^5 / 2*pi (because they gave us the circumference) everything else is pretty self-explanitory. Since I have F, G, the mass of the rock, and R, I solved for M and got the wrong answer. Could anyone tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2
    How do you know v?

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would help a little if you put some numbers in. A shot in the dark:
    If you got an acceleration of gravity (a) that is less than [itex]4\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] then you calculated that incorrectly.

5. Jun 30, 2005 #4
    Is this not an acceptable value for v_o? and, if it returned to the ground, wouldnt v be 0?

6. Jun 30, 2005 #5
    No, v would take that value for maximum height.

7. Jun 30, 2005 #6
    ...yeah I got a value less than 4...

8. Jun 30, 2005 #7
    So to get the equation to work out, I would just halve the time right? That would give me a V=0 at the max height. and an A of about 4.3m/s

9. Jun 30, 2005 #8
    Thanks a lot for the help guys, I got it now.

10. Jun 30, 2005 #9

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

V = -V_o (?)

11. Jun 30, 2005 #10
    The OP didn't state that, which lead me to think that he overlooked it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?