Understanding Forces and Energy in Space Exploration

• Thread starter m00c0w
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes discussions on calculating the force on a rocket with a given acceleration and mass, finding the kinetic energy of an astronaut jumping on the moon, explaining the differences in safety for astronauts jumping on the moon and Earth, and the benefits of underwater training for astronauts. There is also a question regarding the force on a rocket traveling in space and the effects of acceleration. It is mentioned that the net force on a rocket at a steady speed is 0 and that underwater training simulates weightlessness for astronauts.
m00c0w
Hi I'm doing a practice test paper in preparation for my exam. I've calculated the acceleration of a rocket to be 5m/s². It now says that the average mass of the rocket is 1000kg and asks to calculate the force on the rocket. I assumed that the formula to use would be F=ma so I calculated the force to be 5000N from 1000 x 5 although this was marked wrong. Could anyone please explain where I went wrong?

Then there is a question on an astronaut. He jumps off a rock on the moon and drops 1.5m. His speed is 2.2m/s as he hits the ground. Calculate the kinetic energy of the astronaut as he hits the ground. I used the formula K.E. = 1/2 x mass x speed² to get 1/2 x 150 x 2.2² = 363J. I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether that is right as I have a suspicion it isn't considering they bothered to mention the distance he drops in the question.

Then I have to explain why astronauts can jump down from a height of 1.5m safely on the moon but not safely on earth. I have to make reference to weight, acceleration and energy. So far I've said that on the moon the astronauts weight will be less as the gravitational field strength will be less. Also the astronaut will have less gravitational potential energy as the gravitational field strength is less. Is there a scientific way that I can tie in acceleration in relation to the gravitational field strength?

Finally there is a question asking why it is a good idea for astronauts to do training under water for their work on the moon as opposed to just on the ground on earth. I have forgot the technical words but I'm assuming it is to do with the drag in the water making them move slower :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. 1 - are you told how long the rocket travels for? And what about the gravitational force on the rocket?

No. 3 - the acceleration and g and equal I think.

No. 4 - underwater is weightlessness simulation, no effects of gravity, can move in 3 dimensions etc.

-NewScientist

Thanks for the reply. Referring to No. 1 I am told that the rock travels in space. It accelerates from a velocity of 100m/s to 700m/s. This takes 120 seconds.

Well, it may be a trick question does it ask for the force after acceleration? For if it does the answer is 0 as the rocket will be at a steady speed and so will have acceleration of 0 and therefore the forces are balanced or 0. If they are balanced the net force is 0

-NewScientist

EDIT: nevermind :P

1. How do rockets work?

Rockets work by using thrust to overcome the force of gravity and propel objects into space. This is achieved by burning a fuel source, which creates hot gases that shoot out of the back of the rocket. The force of the gases shooting out in one direction creates an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling the rocket forward.

2. What is the biggest challenge of sending astronauts into space?

The biggest challenge of sending astronauts into space is the immense distance and harsh conditions they must endure. Astronauts must be able to survive in a pressurized and temperature-controlled environment while also dealing with the effects of microgravity, radiation, and other hazards of space travel.

3. How do astronauts stay safe during launch and re-entry?

Astronauts stay safe during launch and re-entry through a combination of advanced technology and training. The spacecraft is designed to withstand the intense heat and pressure of launch and re-entry, and astronauts are trained to operate the necessary equipment and procedures to ensure their safety.

4. What happens if something goes wrong during a space mission?

If something goes wrong during a space mission, astronauts are trained to follow emergency procedures and use backup systems to mitigate any potential issues. Additionally, ground control teams are constantly monitoring the mission and can provide guidance and support to the astronauts in case of an emergency.

5. How do astronauts return to Earth from the International Space Station?

Astronauts return to Earth from the International Space Station using a Soyuz spacecraft. The spacecraft is designed to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and land safely on the ground using parachutes. The process is carefully monitored and controlled by both the astronauts and ground control teams.