1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Conservation of Moment

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1

VVS

Hi,

I really need clarification for this problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rocket with initial mass M0 is accelerated by expulsion of a partial mass dm of its mass m with a constant velocity u. Write down the differential equation corresponding to the conservation law of momentum for the velocity v(m) of the rocket and evaluate it under the condition v(m = M0) = v0. What is the terminal velocity when the final mass of the rocket is Me?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attached three different approaches (all using the conservation of momentum principle) of mine in this pdf file.
    But unfortunately I get three different results.
    Please point out which approach is wrong.

thanks a lot
    VVS

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

What are your thoughts about the three methods? I think you can apply some physics insight to decide which is correct.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3

VVS

I really can't tell. All three methods appear to be correct to me. I can't see what is wrong about any of the methods. But obviously because I get different answers something has to be incorrect, but I just can't tell what.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted