1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Egg Problem

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    My class was just handed a project to do;
    The project intales us to build a rocket out of what ever, as long as its not like a purchased rocket kit. Then launch it 30-40+ feet in the air with a stage C rocket engine. However the catch is it has to hold a egg in/on it and be able to land without breaking the egg.
    So far Iv come up with some ideas, but non seem either practical, or when i tested a similar concept just droping it off the house roof the egg doesnt even make it, let alone launch and landing.
    Help me Please!
    Thanks Much for any ideas possible!!!!
    Kyle

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2
    you dooo have a parachute dont you? try encasing the egg in a foam like substance, try homedepot and see if they have one of those foam blocks with sandpaper on the sides. i just cut off the sides, fitted it to the tube and carved out room for the eggs, worked well except for the high center of gravity that made it go crash boom. honestly, if you have a big enough parachute that egg will be fine though.

Adam

IM me if u need more help, i love model rockets AdamChess4

4. Apr 27, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, what gets me is how are you going to attach a compartment to the rocket for the egg while simultaneously providing a passage way for the charge to deploy the parachute? Logistics I guess but it's not happening for me somehow.

Another question: Won't the force of the rocket taking off break the egg? Need to insulate it I guess.

Another one: Isn't an egg, comparred to a typical Estes rocket engine like real heavy? I wouldn't think one rocket engine would do it.

I'm thinking, that tube inside paper towels, some balsa wood for the fins (use lots of good glue) one nice piece to make the tip of the rocket (lots of sanding though). Just buy a tip. Make a nice engine housing (to hold the rocket engine so it doesn't blast through your egg and though the tip of the rocket without taking off). Paint it real nice; maybe you'll get credit for looks even if the egg breaks!

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4
    Arsonade - well sadly saltydog is right, we cant use parashoot cause of the need for detination. so he said just dont try to use them at all. (wow another complication x.x)

saltydog - yeah, it is going to be complicated with it launching and not breaking the egg. I believe the teacher said that he is going to do something about the detination part of the rocket when its depleated so it wont add more harm to the egg. but im not 100% sure either :-(

This is doing a big number on my brain! so many varibles im going insane!

What do you think about I cone shape with more weight on the bottom?
    /_\ <-- like that kinda, that way when it fell it will stay bottom side down, then i could have the egg up top. What do you think arsonade?

6. Apr 27, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about this: (my son and I have great experience in this matter) Some model rockets, when the small charge goes off to blow out the parachute, they plug it up so that the engine itself shoots out causing the rubber-band powered fins to flip so that it "twirls" down softly without a parachute. Egg's kinda heavy though. Might not work. Also, if it were us, we'd strap on a few more rocket engines but we're like that you know.

7. Apr 28, 2005 #6
    Hey Can you send me abit more information on that. That may be a really good start still. Thanks

8. Apr 28, 2005 #7

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Explorien,

Thinking about it more, I think that's a good first start. It eliminates the conflict of the egg getting in the way of the parachute charge. It's called "feather weight" recovery. I tell you what, why don't you just buy a "feather weight recovery" model rocket at the hobby store, see how the fins are set up to "trip" when the engine is ejected, then just apply that to the paper towel roll. You know, if you don't have a roll, just buy a pack of paper towels, unwind it, throw away the towels, and just keep the roll.

9. Apr 28, 2005 #8
    I wont be able to buy one in time to learn about the system (hobby shops arnt around here) But thanks for the idea, Ill trying finding something on google (no luck yet tho).
    Thanks Saltydog

10. Apr 28, 2005 #9

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a web site about "helicopter recovery:

Press Button

It's a bit sophisticated though. You know what, I say just build an ordinary rocket and if I were your teacher and it gets off the ground and doesn't hurt anyone, I'd give you a passing grade!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?