1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Exhaust Temperature

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    Does anybody know how or where I can find a way to figure the Exhaust Temperature of a Rocket. I am considering a problem where I assigned 1.4 atmospheres to the Inlet gas pressure at 300 degrees C.
    That it exited into 1 Atmosphere at exit velocity of 325 M per second.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

cjl

How familiar are you with compressible flows, and how did you determine the exhaust velocity?

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    I'm not terribly familiar with compressible fluids but I do have college physics trining.
    I'm writing something not for school and I wanted subsonic rocket exhaust, and I need to know the velocity of the exhaust and it's temperature I got the formula for some idealized rocket exhaust, Ve, as a function of a lot of things such as mass flow, Temperature, molecular weight, Inlet Pressure, and Isentropic Expansion. I looked up everything for dry air, 29KG/kmol. Starting with Inlet Pressure at 1.4 Atmospheres and and outlet pressure at 1 Atm. with the inlet gas at 596 degress K, I computed 325 m/s for the exhaust speed. The Wiki article for the de Laval nozzel has an example that uses dry air and it specifies the exhaust temp but I have no idea how they computed it. It doesn't seem to be a simple adiabatic expansion thing. So that is my story.

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4
    One place you might look is do a search on "Gas Dynamic CO2 laser" If you can fine a good technical description, it will have a lot of info related to the energy in exhaust.

6. Jun 21, 2011 #5

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook