Rocket Explosion: Min & Max Final Speed

In summary, the question asks for the minimum and maximum possible values of the final speed of the front section of a rocket that is separated into two sections after a small explosion. To solve this, the formula v1f=(m1-m2/m1+m2)(v1i) is used, with m2=M-m1 and v1i=40 m/s. The maximum and minimum values are found by using conservation of momentum and the relative velocity after the explosion. The maximum value of vf occurs when m1 is at its minimum value, and the minimum value of vf occurs when m1 is at its maximum value.
iamkristing

Homework Statement

A rocket with a mass M moves along an x-axis at the constant speed vi=40 m/s. A small explosion separates the rocket into a rear section (of mass m1) and a front section; both sections move along the x axis. The relative speed between the rear and front sections is 20 m/s. What are (a) the minimum possible value of final speed vf of the front section and (b) for what limiting value of m1 does it occur? (c) What is the maximum possible value of vf and (d) for what limiting value of m1 does it occur?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the formula v1f=(m1-m2/m1+m2)(v1i)
and I found m2=M-m1 and v1i=40 m/s

And I know that the v1f will equal 20 m/s+v2f

Other than that I don't know how else to proceed. I think I just need a push in the right direction to get the answer, I just don't know where to go next. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
or would you use the conservation of momentum?

M(40m/s)=m1fv1f+m2fv2f

which simplifies to v2f=(40M+20mi)/M

Now there is three unknowns...i think its asking for a value though...

Use conservation of momentum and the relative velocity after the explosion. You can solve for v2f in terms of m1 and M.

1. What causes a rocket to explode?

A rocket explosion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as malfunctioning engines, structural failures, or errors in the guidance systems. It can also be due to external factors like lightning strikes or collisions with debris.

2. How fast can a rocket explode?

The speed at which a rocket can explode varies depending on the type of rocket and the conditions surrounding the explosion. In general, rockets can reach speeds of up to 17,500 miles per hour, but the exact speed at which they may explode is difficult to determine as it depends on many factors.

3. Can the final speed of a rocket explosion be controlled?

The final speed of a rocket explosion cannot be directly controlled. However, engineers and scientists can design and test rockets to minimize the chances of an explosion occurring, as well as implement safety measures to minimize the impact of an explosion.

4. What is the minimum speed at which a rocket can explode?

The minimum speed at which a rocket can explode varies depending on the design and materials used. However, a rocket needs to reach a certain speed to generate enough lift and thrust to overcome the force of gravity and maintain its flight. If a rocket does not reach this minimum speed, it may fail to launch or crash soon after takeoff.

5. What is the maximum speed a rocket can reach before exploding?

The maximum speed a rocket can reach before exploding is determined by various factors such as the type of fuel used, the size and weight of the rocket, and the altitude and atmospheric conditions. Some rockets can reach speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, but again, the exact maximum speed before explosion is difficult to determine as it depends on many variables.