How Do You Calculate Rocket Exhaust Velocity and Total Acceleration at Liftoff?

• Thread starter AbigailM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the Saturn V booster engines collectively supplied a liftoff thrust of 34 \times10^{6}N. The specific impulse was 2580 N-s/kg. The initial mass of the rocket was 3.0\times 10^{6}kg. Given these specifications, what was the exhaust velocity, and what was the total acceleration including the acceleration of gravity, felt by the astronauts on liftoff (in g's)?
AbigailM
Still preparing for a classical prelim. Not sure if my solution is correct. Any help is more than appreciated.

Homework Statement

According to specifications, the five Saturn V booster engines collectively supplied a liftoff thrust of [itex]34 \times10^{6}N[/itex]. The specific impulse was 2580 N-s/kg. The initial mass of the rocket was [itex]3.0\times 10^{6}kg[/itex]. Given these specifications, what was the exhaust velocity, and what was the total acceleration including the acceleration of gravity, felt by the astronauts on liftoff (in g's)?
*The specific impulse is the ratio of the thrust to the rate of consumption of propellant. It is nearly constant.

Homework Equations

[itex]v_{ex}=I_{sp}g \hspace{5 mm}\dot{m}=\frac{F_{th}}{I_{sp}}[/itex]

[itex]a(t)=\frac{\dot{m}v_{ex}}{m_{0}-\dot{m}t}-g=\frac{F_{th}g}{m_{0}-\dot{m}t}-g[/itex]

where [itex]m(t)=m_{0}-\dot{m}t \hspace{5 mm}m(t)a(t)=\dot{m}v_{ex}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\dot{m}=\frac{3400\times 10^{4}N}{2580\frac{N.s}{kg}}=1.3\times 10^{4}\frac{kg}{s}[/itex]

[itex]a(t)=\frac{3400\times 10^{4}N}{3.0\times 10^{6}-1.3\times10^{4}\frac{kg}{s}t}g -g[/itex]

Note: Something that confused me was that that the [itex]I_{sp}[/itex] given is in m/s.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When specific impulse is given in unit m/s (which is equal to N-s/kg) it really represent exhaust velocity, as related by your first equation. That is, the exhaust velocity of 2580 m/s corresponds to a specific impulse of 263 s.

Notice, that your second equation is not correct (it misses a "g", or, you should replace Isp with Vex). However, since you actually used Vex in your calculation you ended up with the correct result for the mass rate.

The expression for the rockets acceleration looks correct, but if you want a(t) to represent how much acceleration the astronauts feel (including gravity) you want consider what a(t) should be equal if the rocket has zero acceleration. Also, as I read the last question, it seems you only need to calculate the value of a(0), that is, the felt acceleration at lift-off.

As always Filip thanks for the help.

Yep it does say a(0) lol, hope I don't miss something like that on an exam.

There ended up being an error in my a(t) equation, because I should have used [itex]v_{ex}=I_{sp}\frac{g}{g}[/itex]. When I use that and crunch out the liftoff acceleration ignoring gravity, I get roughly 1.15g's, which is close to the 1.13g's experimental.

And thanks for the gravity hint, I should have put + instead of -. The acceleration vector on the crew is in the same direction as gravity, even though the rocket's acceleration vector is upwards. Newton's third law :(.

1. What is a rocket and how does it work?

A rocket is a type of vehicle that uses thrust generated by the combustion of fuel to propel itself through the air or space. The basic principle behind a rocket is Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, the rocket's engines push exhaust gases in one direction, causing the rocket to move in the opposite direction.

2. What is Vex and how is it related to rockets?

Vex is a robotic construction system designed for educational purposes. It includes a variety of parts that can be used to build robots that can perform different tasks. Vex is related to rockets in the sense that it can be used to build models of rockets, which can help students understand the principles of rocket propulsion and design.

3. How do scientists find Vex and a(t) for a rocket?

Scientists determine the velocity (Vex) and acceleration (a(t)) of a rocket by measuring its position at different points in time. This data can then be used to plot a position-time graph, from which the velocity and acceleration can be calculated using mathematical equations. Scientists can also use sensors and other instruments to directly measure the velocity and acceleration of a rocket.

4. What is the importance of finding Vex and a(t) for a rocket?

Knowing the velocity and acceleration of a rocket is crucial for its successful launch and flight. These values help scientists determine the thrust and force needed to propel the rocket, as well as predict its trajectory and make adjustments to ensure its desired path. Vex and a(t) data also allows scientists to analyze the performance of a rocket and make improvements for future designs.

5. How do scientists use Vex and a(t) to improve rockets?

Scientists use Vex and a(t) data to analyze the performance of rockets and identify areas for improvement. For example, if the velocity or acceleration of a rocket is not as expected, scientists can investigate the cause and make adjustments to the design or fuel composition. Additionally, Vex and a(t) data can also be used to simulate and test different scenarios, helping scientists optimize the design and performance of rockets.