1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Fuel Problem

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A warlock testing a rocket broom takes off from a standing start and flies at fixed elevation. The warlock and fueled rocket system start out with mass Mi. The rocket fires with exhaust speed u, losing mass at a constant rate R, and we’ll assume air drag is negligible. If the rocket broom is to reach a velocity equal to 0.6u, what minimum fraction of the initial mass must be devoted to fuel?

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't even know how to start. I looked at this topic but I do not understand how the fuel has initial momentum, or how to apply any of that in another situation

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Bugeye :bugeye:! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    The question means that the difference in speed between the rocket and the fuel that's just gone is u.

So call the mass "m" (as a function of t), and write a formula for what happens when a mass dm of fuel is expelled in time dt …

what do you get? :smile:

(all the other smilies say "hi!" too :yuck: :cry: :cool: :confused: :zzz: :redface: :frown: :eek: :uhh: :shy: :grumpy: :!!) :mad: :wink: o:) :tongue2: :surprised :devil: :biggrin: :blushing: :tongue: :rolleyes: :rofl: :approve:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook