Making a Solid Rocket Engine Abroad: What Can I Do?

In summary, you cannot make your own rocket propellants without an oxidizer, which you cannot find in Kazakhstan. You could make a hybrid rocket using sugar and kerosene, but this is not a legal or safe activity.
Andrew Buren
I really enjoy building model rockets, however, I moved oversees and can't get premade engins. Nor can I get potassium nitrate or any other common combustable.
What can I do to make a small solid rocket engin??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Check archives of rec.pyrotechnics group, you should be able to easily google them. Note: I have never read this group by myself, but from what I was told by people I trust this is not a bunch of suicidal pyromaniacs, but group of professionals and hobbyists that know the subject.

there is a book called amateur rocket motor construction that looks like maybe what you want

What I need is fuel out of very common things.

Andrew Buren said:
What I need is fuel out of very common things.
Common sugar (Sucrose) can be used as a fuel in rocket propellants. But you still need an oxidizer to mix with it in order to support rapid combustion. You already said you cannot get things like Potassium Nitrate, so that will make your endeavor much more difficult; you have bountiful fuel but no oxidizer.

Of course you could make your own oxidizers, providing you had the knowledge. We used to have a very nice thread on Potassium Chlorate…to bad it is not longer around.

So where are you in the world that won't allow Estes engines?

I'm in the countery of Kazakhstan. No hobby shops, or chem. departemnts to by this stuff.
Do you how I could make a simple oxidizer.

oh boy...

I know it is a bad joke, but I can't help it. If you are in Kazakhstan, you are close to the Baikonur Cosmodrome :rofl:

Speaking about nitrats - they are present in some fertiilizers.

Borek said:
I know it is a bad joke, but I can't help it. If you are in Kazakhstan, you are close to the Baikonur Cosmodrome :rofl:

Speaking about nitrats - they are present in some fertiilizers.

true, but what's the easiest way of seperating them?

you could make a hybrid rocket. use the sugar and maybe kerosene. it's used in lamps and stuff. i heard Sterno and the phosphor out of the old road flares works too.

now, my friend used to make small rockets using solid fuel made out of both sugar and potassium nitrate (the fertilizer). Thing is, I can't remember if it was 1/3 sugar and 2/3 potassium nitrate or the other way round.

randeezy said:
true, but what's the easiest way of seperating them?

Recrystallization.

you could make a hybrid rocket. use the sugar and maybe kerosene

You are still missing oxidizer.

Sorry folks. Getting a bit too close to the "dangerous activities" part of the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page). Making rocket fuel is not something that fits within the PF Rules. Locked.

PF Rules said:
Illegal/Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, ...

Additional details regarding discussion of controlled substances and chemicals can be found in the Chemistry Forum Guidelines.

1. What materials are needed to make a solid rocket engine?

The materials needed to make a solid rocket engine include a combustion chamber, nozzle, propellant, igniter, and casing. The specific types of materials used can vary based on the design and purpose of the engine, but they often include metals such as aluminum or steel, as well as solid fuel ingredients such as ammonium perchlorate and aluminum powder.

2. Can I legally build and test a solid rocket engine abroad?

The legality of building and testing a solid rocket engine abroad depends on the country where you plan to do so. It is important to research and follow all laws and regulations related to rocket technology in your chosen location. Additionally, you may need to obtain permits or licenses from local authorities for the construction and testing process.

3. How can I ensure the safety of building and testing a solid rocket engine abroad?

Safety should always be a top priority when building and testing a solid rocket engine abroad. Make sure to thoroughly research and understand the proper handling and storage procedures for all materials used in the engine. It is also important to have trained professionals oversee the construction and testing process and to follow all safety protocols and regulations.

4. What are some common challenges I may face when building a solid rocket engine abroad?

Some common challenges when building a solid rocket engine abroad may include language barriers, cultural differences, and access to necessary materials and resources. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the local laws, customs, and resources before beginning the project. Additionally, it may be helpful to work with a team of individuals who have experience and expertise in building rocket engines.

5. How can I ensure the success of building and testing a solid rocket engine abroad?

To ensure the success of building and testing a solid rocket engine abroad, it is important to have a well-developed plan and to work with a team of individuals who have knowledge and experience in the field. Thoroughly research the materials and processes involved, and make sure to follow all safety protocols and regulations. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a contingency plan in case any challenges arise during the construction and testing process.