Rocket/Gas Q: Does Ground Push Help Takeoff?

• Thread starter physicsilliterate69
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the gas released by a rocket and its takeoff. The conclusion is that the gas hitting the ground does not affect the rocket's takeoff, as there is nothing for it to push against. The conversation also considers the concept of conservation of momentum in relation to rocket propulsion.
physicsilliterate69
I have a question on a homework assignment and I am kind of stuck.

A big rocket at launch has a huge ball of flaming gas that is deflected by the ground at the beginning. Does the gas hitting the ground have anything to do with the rocket taking off? Think carefully here---is this really any different than the ship leaving the station---was there anything to "push against" there?

I know that the gas disappates or speads out once it leaves the confinement of the rocket. Basically the gas molecules can move around a bigger space (not confined). The gas hitting the ground pushes against the Earth but I don't think that it has anything to do with the rocket taking off. But, then again, the gas is pushing against the Earth and the Earth is pushing against the gas. The gas spreads outward as the Earth will not allow it to push downward into the earth.I'm getting confused at this point.

Anyone out there can explain this better to me??

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking about it this way. Would the recoil of a gun be any different if the bullet hit something shortly after leaving the gun as opposed to continuing on unabated?

IOW, does what happens to the bullet after it leaves the gun have any effect on the gun?

Okay...the gas leaving the rocket has nothing to do with the rocket taking off. There was nothing to push against. Am I correct?

Okay...wait a minute. I think I have something. Both sides of the equation must equal the same thing. So, rocket propulsion is based on conservation of momentum. If gravity is absent, the downward momentum of the exhaust gases is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the upward momentum of the rocket at all times.

1. How does ground push help with takeoff for rockets?

Ground push, also known as thrust, is a force that pushes a rocket upward during takeoff. As the rocket's engines generate thrust, the rocket is pushed in the opposite direction, allowing it to lift off the ground and overcome the force of gravity.

2. What is the role of gas in rocket takeoff?

Gases, such as liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, are used as propellants in rocket engines. When these gases are ignited, they create a powerful force known as thrust. This thrust propels the rocket upward and allows it to break free from Earth's gravitational pull.

3. How does the amount of gas affect a rocket's takeoff?

The amount of gas, or propellant, used in a rocket's engines directly impacts the amount of thrust that can be generated. The more propellant that is used, the greater the thrust and the faster the rocket will be able to accelerate and reach higher altitudes.

4. Can ground push or gas be adjusted during takeoff?

Yes, ground push and gas can be adjusted during takeoff. Rocket engineers carefully calculate the amount of thrust needed for a successful takeoff and program the engines to adjust the amount of gas being used accordingly. This helps to ensure a smooth and controlled ascent into space.

5. Are there any other factors that affect a rocket's takeoff besides ground push and gas?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect a rocket's takeoff, including its weight, aerodynamics, and external forces such as wind. These factors must be carefully considered and accounted for in the design and launch of a rocket to ensure a successful takeoff and mission.