1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Rocket Launch Angle Question

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone,

I've been trying to do a problem in which I attempt to find the angle that maximizes the horizontal distance of a rocket, which has a stage with thrust and then a stage as a projectile. After a delay period, an ejection charge fires and causes the rocket to drop straight down. I want to have the ejection charge to fire before the rocket hits the ground, which means giving a bit of leeway.

If any of you can look over my work and give me any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Thrust: 3.42 N
    Burn Time (constant thrust assumed): .33s
    Delay time before ejection charge fires after burn time: 1.74s
    Mass: .033893kg

Other values are calculated in the spreadsheet.

2. Relevant equations

Equations of motion/projectiles

3. The attempt at a solution

See spreadsheet. In it, I attempted to use the goal seek function to set the total time since burnout equal to the delay time (1.74s) by changing the value of the angle.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The maximal distance will be reached if the rocket is just above the ground after 1.74 seconds. Safety factors can be added as necessary. Assuming a constant thrust vector, this leads to a quadratic equation for the vertical acceleration, which can be solved analytically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted