1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Problem

1. Feb 29, 2004 #1
    A rocket is moving away from the solar system at a speed of 6.0 x 10^3 m/s. It fires its engine, which ejects exhaust with a speed of 3.0 x 10^3 m/s relative to the rocket. The mass of the rocket at this time is 4.0 x 10^4 kg, and its acceleration is 2.0 m/s/s.

A) What is the thrust of the engine?

I thought to use the equation T = ma ? T = (4.0 x 10^4 kg)(2.0m/s/s) = 8.0 x 10^4 N.

B) At what rate, in kilograms per second, is exhaust ejected?

I'm stumped on this one, I thought that's what Thrust was?

I thought to maybe use the equation: Vf-Vi = Vrel ln(Mi/Mf) but i don't even know how to use it in this situation... Any help would be great, thanks! ~Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2004 #2
    I think you need to use momentum.

4. Feb 29, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. (Assuming that the gravitational force is negligible and that the thrust is the only force on the rocket.)
    How could an exhaust rate be equal to a force? The units don't match.

Anyhow, thrust is given by Vrel*dM/dt.

5. Mar 1, 2004 #4
    ok, so for part B. i take the derivative of the mass, then multiply it by the Vrel. thanks. ~Dave

6. Mar 1, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For part B you are to find the exhaust rate, which is dM/dt. Set the thrust equal to what you found in part A, then solve for dM/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?