1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Propulsion Fuel Burn

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The space shuttle, with an initial mass M = 2.41E+6 kg, is launched from the surface of the earth with an initial net acceleration a = 26.1 m/s2. The rate of fuel consumption is R = 6.90E+3 kg/s. The shuttle reaches outer space with a velocity of vo = 4632 m/s, and a mass of Mo = 1.45E+6 kg. How much fuel must be burned after this time to reach a velocity vf = 5158 m/s?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least take a guess at what you need to know !
  4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    well i got some answer..but all of them were wrong. Ve(dm/dt) = M(dv/dt), Vf-Vi= Ve(ln(Mi/Mf)...As it reaches outer space, I got acceleration of 43.38 and since gravity is not acting, added 9.81 to get 53.19. I set this to dv/dt. Got Ve. And plugged into formula...but did not work. What's wrong?
  5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    My only question is, on equation Ve(dm/dt) = M(dv/dt), how do we get dv/dt? I really don't get it..Is it constant?
  6. Nov 8, 2007 #5
    Oops, I solved the problem! FYI answer is 5.96×10^4 kg.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?