1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket propulsion

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. well. I have this question. That my rocket is launched from mar in an return mission to earth. To calculate specific impulse of the rocket. Should i consider mar or earth gravity and if why!? Help me with this

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your rocket is being launched from Mars, why would you use earth's gravity in your calculations?

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    problem Is we have formula for specific impulse for earth standard..That Isp=Cj/Go
    Cj-effective jet velocity
    Go-gravity
    ..and thats the reason i asked..why its not mars gravity!!! Im not sure of it.

5. Oct 18, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's because until now, all rockets have been launched from earth, in earth's gravity. If ever a probe lands on Mars and returns to earth from there, obviously, Mars gravity will determine how much impulse will be required for the rocket to return to earth. It's like when Apollo went to the moon: did the lunar module need to exceed the gravitational pull of the moon or the earth?

If you had used the HW template per the rules of this forum, and provided the entire question as worded originally, perhaps this confusion of yours could have been resolved by now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted