1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Rotational problem

1. Aug 10, 2005 #1
    I am trying to program a simple simulation but am having problems with the physics of it.

Problem: I have a rocket moving (linear) along a certain vector . I want to then pitch that rocket some known degrees (call theta) and I basically want to know to solve for how long it will take for the rocket to complete the pitch maneuver.

I believe that the initial angular velocity is 0 since the rocket is moving in a straight line. And the final angular velocity is also 0 since the rocket will be moving in straight line (new velocity vector) after the maneuver.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how you can answer that question without more information! What is causing the rocket to pitch over? You are really asking for the time to change from one velocity to another and that depends upon the acceleration (which depends upon the force causing the change).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?