What is the Maximum Height and Time of a Rocket's Flight?

In summary, the rocket rises from the ground at a speed of 29.4 m/s until it runs out of fuel and continues to rise until it hits the ground at a final speed of 135.79 m/s.
Garrett21

Homework Statement

A rocket moves upward, starting from rest with an acceleration of 29.4 m/s^2 for 4s. It runs out of fuel at the end of this 4s interval and continues to move upward.
a.) how high does it rise from the ground?
b.)When the rocket will hit the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

lets say a>b is the 4s with fuel, the rocket would travel 235.2 meters in 4s
from b>c the initial velocity is 117.6 m/s so the rocket will continue for 705.6 m before peaking 12s
from c to the ground the final velocity is 135.79 m/s 13.8564s

a.) 940.8 meters
b.) 29.8564 seconds

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show us your calculations. I cannot tell if those numbers are correct, unless you show me the math you used to get those. Which kinematic sentences did you use for it? etc..

Notice, part of the motion is with variable mass (until it runs out of fuel) . From there onward, the mass is constant and it reduces to body with constant mass moving under the influence of gravity.

I agree with hjemgart. At the risk of becoming too personal:
Does it really help you when I state: yes, your answers are correct ?
They are, and I estimate you are quite capable to check them yourself. So why do you post ?

Sunfire said:
Notice, part of the motion is with variable mass (until it runs out of fuel) . From there onward, the mass is constant and it reduces to body with constant mass moving under the influence of gravity.

Yes i understand this.

BvU said:
I agree with hjemgart. At the risk of becoming too personal:
Does it really help you when I state: yes, your answers are correct ?
They are, and I estimate you are quite capable to check them yourself. So why do you post ?

Just to double check i suppose.
This is my first week studying physics.

You're doing fine. Physics is fun: it is great to wonder about the world around you and rewarding to (only now and then) have the feeling to understand a little bit of what's going on and how it works. Don't let the tedious investment of making exercises distract youfrom the fun part. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of a rocket?

The maximum height of a rocket can be calculated using the following equation:
h = (v02/2g) * (1 + √(1 + (2gh0/v02))),
where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h0 is the initial height of the rocket.

2. What factors affect the maximum height and time of a rocket?

The maximum height and time of a rocket are affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the thrust of the rocket, the weight of the rocket, and air resistance. These factors can be manipulated to achieve the desired maximum height and time for a rocket launch.

3. How does air resistance impact the maximum height and time of a rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the maximum height and time of a rocket. As a rocket moves through the air, it experiences a force opposing its motion due to air resistance. This force can decrease the initial velocity and therefore, the maximum height and time of the rocket.

4. Can a rocket continue to gain height indefinitely?

No, a rocket cannot continue to gain height indefinitely. As it travels higher, the air becomes thinner, and the force of air resistance becomes stronger, eventually causing the rocket to reach a maximum height and then fall back to the ground.

5. How can the maximum height and time of a rocket be improved?

To improve the maximum height and time of a rocket, engineers can make changes to its design, such as using more powerful engines, reducing the weight of the rocket, and minimizing air resistance. Additionally, accurately calculating and adjusting the angle of launch can also help improve the maximum height and time of a rocket.