Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rockets VS misiles

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1
    what is the diference betwin a rocket and a misile?
    from what I can tell,a rocket is something small,like a bazooka,or at most an anti-air rocket,and a misile is something huge,like a torpilo,or a nuke,or something realy big,but I'm not shore,and there might be several "oficial" diferences...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not sure I agree with the definitions, but here's what Dictionary.com says. Looks like a rocket propels a missle...

4. Jan 9, 2009 #3
    Missiles are used to strike objects. For example a tree flying in a hurricane is a missile hazard. Comes from the Latin Missilis, to throw or send.

Rockets involve some sort of mass shift for propulsion. Such as a water rocket where the water is pressurized then ejected out the bottom at high speeds to cause thrust, or the rockets on the space shuttle (solid or H2 O2) which use a chemical reaction to expel waste gasses at high speeds.

Rockets are missiles, but missiles are not necessarily rockets. Make sense?

5. Jan 10, 2009 #4
    quoting chayced "–noun 1. any of various simple or complex tubelike devices containing combustibles that on being ignited liberate gases whose action propels the tube through the air" quote ended.

seems like the dictionary is rong:) it's action does nothing(or at least burn something)...it is it's reaction who propels the misile...

(sorry,but I can't quote what chayced quoted,so I did it manualy)

6. Jan 10, 2009 #5
    yes,it does,thanks...it's a good thing I pay atention on analitic maths class:))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?