Comparing Rockets and Missiles - What's the Difference?

In summary, a rocket is something small,like a bazooka,or at most an anti-air rocket,and a misile is something huge,like a torpilo,or a nuke,or something really big,but I'm not shore,and there might be several "oficial" diferences...Not sure I agree with the definitions, but here's what Dictionary.com says. Looks like a rocket propels a missle...
theallknower
what is the diference betwin a rocket and a misile?
from what I can tell,a rocket is something small,like a bazooka,or at most an anti-air rocket,and a misile is something huge,like a torpilo,or a nuke,or something really big,but I'm not shore,and there might be several "oficial" diferences...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I agree with the definitions, but here's what Dictionary.com says. Looks like a rocket propels a missle...

dictionary.com said:
rock⋅et1   /ˈrɒkɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rok-it] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. any of various simple or complex tubelike devices containing combustibles that on being ignited liberate gases whose action propels the tube through the air: used for pyrotechnic effect, signaling, carrying a lifeline, hurling explosives at an enemy, putting a space vehicle into orbit, etc.
2. a space capsule or vehicle put into orbit by such devices.
3. rocket engine.
–verb (used with object) 4. to move or transport by means of a rocket.
5. to attack with rockets.
–verb (used without object) 6. to move like a rocket.
7. (of game birds) to fly straight up rapidly when flushed.

Missile

A missile (see also pronunciation differences) is a self-propelled, explosive projectile used as a weapon towards a target.

Missiles are typically propelled by rockets, but other engines such as ramjet, turbojet and turbofan engines can also be used.

Missiles are used to strike objects. For example a tree flying in a hurricane is a missile hazard. Comes from the Latin Missilis, to throw or send.

Rockets involve some sort of mass shift for propulsion. Such as a water rocket where the water is pressurized then ejected out the bottom at high speeds to cause thrust, or the rockets on the space shuttle (solid or H2 O2) which use a chemical reaction to expel waste gasses at high speeds.

Rockets are missiles, but missiles are not necessarily rockets. Make sense?

quoting chayced "–noun 1. any of various simple or complex tubelike devices containing combustibles that on being ignited liberate gases whose action propels the tube through the air" quote ended.

seems like the dictionary is rong:) it's action does nothing(or at least burn something)...it is it's reaction who propels the misile...

(sorry,but I can't quote what chayced quoted,so I did it manualy)

chayced said:
Rockets are missiles, but missiles are not necessarily rockets. Make sense?

yes,it does,thanks...it's a good thing I pay atention on analitic maths class:))

1. What is the main difference between a rocket and a missile?

The main difference between a rocket and a missile is their purpose. Rockets are primarily used for space exploration and transportation, while missiles are designed for military purposes, such as delivering warheads or attacking enemy targets.

2. Can a rocket be considered a type of missile?

While both rockets and missiles use propulsion systems to move through the air, a rocket cannot be considered a type of missile because their intended use and design are fundamentally different.

3. How do the propulsion systems differ between rockets and missiles?

Rockets use chemical reactions to create thrust, while missiles can use a variety of propulsion systems, including jet, rocket, or ramjet engines. Missiles also often have guidance systems for precision targeting, which rockets typically do not have.

4. Are there any similarities between rockets and missiles?

Yes, there are some similarities between rockets and missiles. Both use aerodynamics and control systems to navigate through the air, and both can be powered by a variety of fuels. Additionally, some missiles can be launched from rocket launchers.

5. Is there a difference in the cost of developing and using rockets and missiles?

Yes, there is a significant difference in the cost of developing and using rockets and missiles. Developing and launching rockets for space exploration can cost billions of dollars, while missiles are typically much cheaper to produce and use, as they are designed for shorter-range and more specific purposes.