1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rockwell test

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    Im doing a project and i did some test with AL using the Rockwell/Vickers machine and I was wondering if the units i have are in Kg and if they are I need to pick a unit to change them to so i can have a scale what should I use. my teacher was saying something about using the K value for the scale. What is that and how do I find it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you from Sheffield sir?

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And to answer your question, no the units are not in kg.

The Rockwell number is expressed as N - h/S, where h is the permanent indentation depth in mm, and N and S are constants specific to the type of test being performed. The two most common measurements are Rockwell B and C (HRB & HRC).

Values of N and S for HRB are 130 and 0.002 respectively, using a hardened steel ball and 100kg test load
    Values of N and S for HRC are 100 and 0.002 respectively, using a 120 degree angle diamond cone, and 150kg test load

Loads of info about it if you Google.

http://www.npl.co.uk/force/guidance/hardness/rockwell.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?