Calculating Angular Acceleration in a Pivoted Rod

In summary, the conversation is about a long, uniform rod that is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin. The question is what the magnitude of its angular acceleration is when it is released from rest in a vertical position and reaches a horizontal position. The formula used is \alpha=rw^2 and the answer given in the book is 3g/2L. The person asking the question is wondering what they are missing and suggests using the law of conservation of energy to solve the problem.
UrbanXrisis
rod -- angular acceleration

A long uniform rod length L and mass M is pivoted about a horizonal, frictionless pin passing through one end. The rod is released from rest in a vertical position. The instant the rod is horizontal, what is the magnitue of its angular acceleration.

It's angular speed I know is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3g}{L}}[/tex]
using the formula [tex]\alpha=rw^2[/tex]
I get then angular acceleration to be 3g. However the book tells me that the answer is 3g/2L. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever formulas are you using?

Write down the moment-of-momentum equation about the pivot:
a) What is the moment of inertia?
b) What is the torque induced by gravity?

Yes,your answer is incorrect,even not knowing the physics to solve the problem,nor the book's answer.

I think you can use the law of conservation of energy...

Daniel.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt.

3. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s^2) in the SI system or degrees per second squared (deg/s^2) in the imperial system.

4. How does angular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are both measures of how an object's speed changes. However, angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion while linear acceleration is specific to straight-line motion.

5. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

The angular acceleration of a rod can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the rod, the mass of the rod, and the distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, any external torque or friction can also impact the angular acceleration of the rod.