Rod falling through the event horizon of a black hole

• I
  • Thread starter timmdeeg
  • Start date
timmdeeg
Gold Member
No, it isn't. A black hole is a vacuum solution.
I avoided to say 'at the singularity' because the predictions of the vacuum solution seem to be wrong there. But even though I think it's still wrong to talk about "compression" refering to the quantum gravity regime. Most probably nobody can tell what happens to matter when it reaches the center of a black hole. And thus classical notions like 'tidal forces', 'compression' and perhaps even 'heat' or 'spacetime' might not be applicable anymore, because we don't know the state of matter under such conditiones.

I'm reasoning sometimes whether the state of matter in the center of a black hole should't be similar to what one would expect for the state of matter in the early universe prior to inflation as it seems that matter (whatever this means in terms of quantum gravity, matter in the classical sense has existed before and during the gravitational collapse has happened and after inflation) is within a very small volume in both cases. But am not sure at all, if this makes sense.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
I avoided to say 'at the singularity' because the predictions of the vacuum solution seem to be wrong there.
That is the opinion of most physicists, yes. More precisely, most physicists believe that classical GR breaks down when spacetime curvature gets large enough, as it does when you get close enough to the singularity in the Schwarzschild black hole solution.

Most probably nobody can tell what happens to matter when it reaches the center of a black hole.
We currently don't know, if classical GR breaks down near the singularity, what theory should replace it. Most physicists believe it will be some sort of quantum gravity theory, but we don't know which one.

And thus classical notions like 'tidal forces', 'compression' and perhaps even 'heat' or 'spacetime' might not be applicable anymore, because we don't know the state of matter under such conditiones.
That's possible, yes.

I'm reasoning sometimes whether the state of matter in the center of a black hole should't be similar to what one would expect for the state of matter in the early universe prior to inflation
That's possible too, yes. We won't know until we figure out the correct theory under these conditions.

Likes timmdeeg
timmdeeg
Gold Member
PeterDonis, thanks for commenting ,so let's wait.