1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rod of current wire exerting magnetic force on current carrying bar

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Figure is attached.

A thin copper bar of length = 14.0 cm is supported horizontally by two (nonmagnetic) contacts. The bar carries current I1 = 105 A in the -x direction, as shown in the figure below. At a distance h = 0.500 cm below one end of the bar, a long straight wire carries a current I2 = 200 A in the z direction. Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force exerted on the bar.

2. Relevant equations

I = μI/2∏r
    F = IL X B

3. The attempt at a solution

By the Biot-Savart Law, a magnetic field is created by a current carrying wire. Because the wire carries a current I, there is a magnetic field in the region. Since the wire is long, we may assume infinite length. The magnetic field of an infinite wire length r away we calculated B = μI/2∏r.

From the classroom demonstration we learned a current carrying wire in a magnetic field experiences a magnetic force. The magnetic force is perpendicular to both current element ds and B. The force experienced by the rod is F = ILXB. Since B varies over the length of the bar, we need to integrate. Also, the appropriate equation to use is dF = I dsXB since the angle between ds and B vary as well. After combining the equation for B and replacing theta in terms of r and integrating should I have the answer?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?