Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rod on frictionless surface

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    A rod initially held vertically is falling on a frictionless surface when given a slight push.I just want to how the rod would move.I am thinking that the rod as a whole will move forward and also rotate about the point on the ground.

Why the rod is moving forward?(if you ask me)
    I think that the CM is going in circular motion and thus will experience an outward pull. This force will take the rod forward.

But i have heard that the rod purely rotates and does not move forward as a whole.
    check this link http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=2541
    What is wrong in my argument?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2
    I'm having trouble visualizing what you are saying. Could you be a little more explicit? Then I, as well as others, would be able to help you.

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    here is a picture
    http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3926/lyj9.png [Broken]

I want to know if the rod will rotate purely or have a translational velocity with rotation?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Oct 24, 2013 #4
    If the surface is frictionless ,as in the picture,the lower end slips on the surface towards right ,in a manner such that the CM of the rod moves vertically downwards .You can consider the motion of the rod as a combination of translation of CM + Rotation around the CM.

I have made a rough sketch .The red dot shows the CM.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5
    For the end to slip should there be any net force acting on it?

7. Oct 24, 2013 #6
    I got it
    thanks a lot:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook