Understanding the Motion of a Falling Rod on a Frictionless Surface

In summary: For the end to slip should there be any net force acting on it?No, there would not be any net force acting on the end if it is frictionless.
nil1996
A rod initially held vertically is falling on a frictionless surface when given a slight push.I just want to how the rod would move.I am thinking that the rod as a whole will move forward and also rotate about the point on the ground.

Why the rod is moving forward?(if you ask me)
I think that the CM is going in circular motion and thus will experience an outward pull. This force will take the rod forward.

But i have heard that the rod purely rotates and does not move forward as a whole.
check this link http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=2541
What is wrong in my argument?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are saying. Could you be a little more explicit? Then I, as well as others, would be able to help you.

Legaldose said:
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are saying. Could you be a little more explicit? Then I, as well as others, would be able to help you.

here is a picture
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3926/lyj9.png

I want to know if the rod will rotate purely or have a translational velocity with rotation?

Last edited by a moderator:
nil1996 said:
I want to know if the rod will rotate purely or have a translational velocity with rotation?

If the surface is frictionless ,as in the picture,the lower end slips on the surface towards right ,in a manner such that the CM of the rod moves vertically downwards .You can consider the motion of the rod as a combination of translation of CM + Rotation around the CM.

I have made a rough sketch .The red dot shows the CM.

Attachments

• stick.PNG
    stick.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 717
Tanya Sharma said:
If the surface is frictionless ,as in the picture,the lower end slips on the surface towards right ,in a manner such that the CM of the rod moves vertically downwards .You can consider the motion of the rod as a combination of translation of CM + Rotation around the CM.

I have made a rough sketch .The red dot shows the CM.

For the end to slip should there be any net force acting on it?

I got it
thanks a lot:smile:

1. What is a "Rod on frictionless surface"?

A "Rod on frictionless surface" refers to a theoretical scenario where a rod or object is placed on a completely smooth surface that has no friction. This means that there is no resistance or drag when the object moves along the surface.

2. How is a frictionless surface created?

A frictionless surface does not exist in reality. It is a concept used in physics to simplify calculations and experiments. However, in theory, a frictionless surface can be created by eliminating all sources of friction, such as air resistance and surface imperfections.

3. What is the significance of studying a rod on a frictionless surface?

Studying a rod on a frictionless surface allows scientists to isolate and better understand the effects of other forces, such as gravity and inertia, on the object's motion. It also helps in developing theoretical models and equations that can be applied to real-world situations.

4. Can an object on a frictionless surface continue to move forever?

In theory, yes. Since there is no friction to slow down or stop the object's motion, it can continue to move indefinitely unless acted upon by an external force. However, this is not possible in reality as friction is present in all environments and will eventually slow down the object's motion.

5. How does a frictionless surface affect the behavior of objects?

A frictionless surface eliminates the effects of friction, which means that objects on such a surface would experience no resistance or drag. This would result in the object moving with constant velocity, and any external force acting on it would not be counteracted by friction, leading to a change in its motion.