Calculating Rod Strength: Help with Oak Rod Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an oak rod with specific dimensions and properties. The question is to determine the maximum mass that the rod can support and the minimum mass that will cause it to break when dropped from the top. The conversation suggests modeling the rod as a spring and using kinetic energy to determine the necessary stretch distance to break it. However, no specific formula is provided and assumptions must be made.
johnlogie

Homework Statement

An example in my problem set (homework help) An oak rod is hung from a rigid support.
The rod has a diameter = 12 mm, length = 9 m, and a catch plate at its base.
a) The maximum mass of a weight that each rod can support.
b) The minimum mass of a weight that will break the rod when dropped from the top of the rod.
Numbers I think can be used: E (stiffness) = 14000 MPa
Yield Tensile strength = 75 MPa
Ultimate tensile strength = 90 MPa

Homework Equations

I can not find a formula to calculate the following question, any help would be appreciated,
Thank you for your help!

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved A but struggling in b) these are all the information provided to us in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drop a mass, it falls 9 meters. What is going to happen when it strikes the catch plate? How will the oak rod stretch (and eventually fail). That is the way I think to approach it. You will need to make some assumptions (and state them) about how the collision between the mass and catch plate occurs.

Thank you for your reply,

The thing is, I don't have a formula in mind in which I can plug the 9m and get the resulting force, I think it's pretty obvious but I can't recall it !

So it has been awhile since I've done one of these. Is it possible that you could model the beam as sort of a spring? I'm not positive but I think it can be done. Then you could say that the mass has a certain amount of kinetic energy, this could be transferred into the spring (and figure out how far the "spring" stretches).
If you can figure the stretch distance necessary to break, then work backwards to see what mass will cause that amount.

johnlogie said:
The maximum mass of a weight that each rod can support.

The mention of "each rod" is confusing. Is there more than one wooden rod involved?

In many respects, this is a classic problem, and the OP has identified the nature of the problem when he said
johnlogie said:
I don't have a formula in mind in which I can plug the 9m and get the resulting force.

The problem is, nobody has such a formula that works in all cases. It depends upon what happens during the impact, and the time is too short for it to be well observed. What SCOTTDAVE has proposed is as good as anything for a homework problem with no further information given.

Likes scottdave
johnlogie said:
a) The maximum mass of a weight that each rod can support.

Dr.D said:
The mention of "each rod" is confusing. Is there more than one wooden rod involved?
My take is that there is only one rod, and "each rod" means "each rod of this type."

What is the formula for calculating rod strength?

The formula for calculating rod strength is: Strength = (π * (Diameter^4)) / (8 * Length)

What are the units of measurement for the variables in the formula?

The units of measurement for the variables are: Strength (N/m^2), Diameter (m), and Length (m).

How do I know the diameter and length to use for the formula?

You can measure the diameter and length of the rod using a ruler or caliper. Make sure to use the same units of measurement for both variables.

Can I use this formula for any type of rod?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the strength of an oak rod. Different types of rods may require different formulas.

What can I do with the calculated rod strength value?

The calculated rod strength value can be used to determine if the oak rod is suitable for a particular application or to compare the strength of different oak rods.