Should the government have the power to shut down rogue websites?

• News
  • Thread starter mege
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Websites
In summary, there is a proposed legislation to protect intellectual property rights by giving the government the power to shut down rogue websites that engage in media piracy. While some support the idea, others are concerned about the potential for government overreach. Some question why it is not the responsibility of the violated IP holders to go after these websites themselves. There are also concerns about the impact on freedom of information and censorship.
mege
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-rogue-websites-bill-house.html
http://www.thetruecosts.org/pressreleases/us-chamber-praises-house-legislation-protect-jobs-and-sever-rogue-websites-american-ma [Broken]

A quick google search comes up with a few other opinions and views on the matter.

Personally, I understand the point of the legislation. But, I really am not happy about getting a government agency unbound power to shutdown a website. Because of that power-grab, I am firmly against this legislation even though I am just as much against media piracy. (I grew up with Napster, Scourge, etc - but never used them and scolded friends who did. I pride myself on not being a thief.)

However, I would ask a greater question - why aren't the violated IP holders going after these 'rogue websites' themselves? Why does this become the government's job to search and destroy - especially in a civil matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
seriously, just unplug from the mainstream. all their brands are made in the same chinese factories. everything from hollywood is brain-dead effects and cliches. nothing but pop music using the same old formulas to appeal to the herd. mainstream news is infotainment and celeb worship. just leave it all behind. and if they want to use this to try and censor real war footage, etc., well, they can't get it all. it will only make people more determined.

1. Should the government have the power to shut down rogue websites?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. It depends on various factors such as the definition of "rogue" websites, the extent of government power, and the potential impact on free speech and innovation. It is a highly debated topic with valid arguments on both sides.

2. What are "rogue" websites?

Rogue websites are typically defined as websites that engage in illegal activities such as piracy, copyright infringement, or the sale of counterfeit goods. These websites often operate outside the jurisdiction of the government and can be difficult to regulate.

3. What is the extent of government power in shutting down websites?

This varies depending on the country and its laws. In some cases, the government may be able to seize the domain name or block access to the website. In other cases, they may be able to work with internet service providers to restrict access. However, there are concerns about government overreach and potential censorship.

4. What are the potential consequences of government shutting down rogue websites?

Critics argue that shutting down websites could violate freedom of speech and the open internet. It could also lead to a slippery slope of government control and censorship. On the other hand, proponents argue that it is necessary to protect intellectual property and maintain law and order.

5. Are there alternative solutions to shutting down rogue websites?

Yes, there are alternative solutions that can be explored such as working with international agencies to track and shut down illegal websites, implementing stricter penalties for those who engage in illegal online activities, and promoting education and awareness about the potential harms of using rogue websites.