Solving Problems without Projectile Equations

• Thread starter darkmagic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving the motion of a stone and a bird. The problem cannot be solved using projectile equations, but requires the use of math equations. The suggested approach is to start by writing down what is known and drawing a diagram, and then possibly creating a graph to better understand the motion of the stone and bird. The velocity of the bird is the only given value, and its relation to the projectile equations is unknown.
darkmagic

Homework Statement

How can you solve this? I have no idea, anything. There's a clue that it cannot be solved by the projectile equations. It can be solved using math equations. I do not know them.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org

Apart from missing any attempt at a solution - I think you are also missing the question

sorry I forgot

Start by writing down what you know about the motion of the stone and bird, then drawing a diagram will help

I already have the diagram but there is only one given, the velocity of the bird.
From the projectile equations, the values included are the angle, velocity, x distance, y distance, and time. I do not know what is the relation of the velocity of the bird to the projectile equations.

So the stone flies in a parabola
Drawn across this, half way up, you have the flight of the bird from the point that the stone was going up to the point it was coming back down.

It might help to sketch a graph of displacement / time for the stone and the bird

1. What is "Solving Problems without Projectile Equations"?

"Solving Problems without Projectile Equations" is a method used by scientists to solve problems related to motion and projectiles without using traditional projectile equations, such as the kinematic equations. It involves using an understanding of forces, motion, and energy to analyze and solve problems.

2. Why use this method instead of traditional projectile equations?

There are several reasons why this method may be preferred over traditional projectile equations. One reason is that it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the problem by taking into account the various forces and factors involved. Additionally, it can be more accurate and applicable to real-world situations.

3. What types of problems can be solved using this method?

Any problem involving motion and projectiles can potentially be solved using this method. This includes problems related to the trajectory of an object, the path of a projectile, or the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.

4. How do you approach solving a problem using this method?

The first step is to carefully define the problem and identify all the known and unknown variables. Then, use principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy, to analyze the problem and determine a solution. It may also involve creating a visual representation, such as a free-body diagram, to better understand the forces at play.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

While this method can be useful in solving many types of problems, it may not be the most efficient or appropriate approach in all situations. For example, if the problem involves complex or chaotic motion, traditional projectile equations may be more suitable. Additionally, this method may require a deeper understanding of physics principles and may not be as straightforward as using traditional equations.