Investigating the Quality of Rolex Watches

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, Rolex watches are very expensive and have a high value because of the materials used in the watch. The watch is also very durable and easy to read in the dark.
Cyrus
I was at the mall the other day and I walked past the watch store. I always wanted to know what makes a Rolex so expensive. I know they are made out of real gold and diamonds, but there are some nice rolex watches that are all steel with none of the bling. But those are equally expensive, why? I talked to the guy and he explained that the price varies because of the grade of the steel alloy. He said the Rolex uses a 900 series alloy, which is higher grade than medical instruments, basically it will never corrode. Also, he said the watch face is made from sapphire. The only two things that could possibly scratch it is another sapphire, or a diamond. That is pretty cool. I saw this watch in a magazine so I wanted to know how much it costs:

http://northatlantictime.com/catalog/images/rolex%20-%20daytone2.jpg [Broken]

Its an amazing watch, but costs $10k. I don't have $10k for a watch, but the question is, if you did have that kind of money, is a Rolex a good investment? Or is it like Bose audio, way over priced for what you're getting?

Anyways...damn that's a cool watch......If every member on PF donates a mere 1 dollar, I can buy it. Come on guys...dont be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
About ten years ago I busted my watch while on the way out the door to catch a plane to a jobsite. I had to stop at Radio Shack on the way to the airport, and while there I spotted a Rolex look-alike for about twenty bucks, so I bought it. It was such a good immitation that I had a factory manager make a bet with me calling on my "Rolex watch" as collateral. He was completely fooled! He sure would have been surprised if he had won the bet! :biggrin:

The watch looks almost as good today as the day that I bought it. It's been such a nice watch that I never bought another one.

Last edited:
I think that Rolex are handmade, and very precise, so that adds to the value. Also there's a lot of bravado in having one. They're status symbols, plain and simple.

You can get electronic watches that will do everything that one will, and not put your life at risk if you are seen wearing it in a public place. Rolexes are mugging-bait.

Is a Rolex overpriced? Of course, you could spend 10 dollars and get a more accurate digital watch.
Is a Rolex a good investment? Probably. no other watch holds its value like a Rolex.
Is a Rolex like Bose? No. Bose audio sounds much better at all wavelengths unless you are listening to a rhythmic tick tick sound.

turbo-1 said:
You can get electronic watches that will do everything that one will, and not put your life at risk if you are seen wearing it in a public place. Rolexes are mugging-bait.

Sure, but I am asking are they worth the high price they command in terms of material? I think this rolex looks awesome because its not flashy.

Cyrus said:
Sure, but I am asking are they worth the high price they command in terms of material?
No way. The value of the stainless steel in the case is miniscule, as is the value of the synthetic sapphire.

turbo-1 said:
No way. The value of the stainless steel in the case is miniscule, as is the value of the synthetic sapphire.

How much do they cost? Also, the strap is also high grade stainless.

Of course they aren't worth the materials. Or even half the workmanship.

Of course they are worth the materials. If someone will pay it.

Basically, they allow rich Republican types to think that they can be adventurous because of the cool watch they wear. Notice how Rolex ads always talk about being an adventurer, or a pilot, etc.

If you want a really nice-looking, durable accurate watch with luminous markings that are really bright and easy to read at night, I suggest a Luminox Captain's Field watch. I have had one for many years. It's great for an active person, since the case is relatively thin and smooth and doesn't snag on stuff like my diver's watch did. The dial markers and hand markers are little luminous tubes filled with tritium gas. I have used mine to illuminate the keyhole on the front door when I've gotten home late and hadn't left a light on.

http://www.scubawatches.com/ProductInfo.aspx,,productid,,1570

Dive watches and actual aviation watches are always cool.

binzing said:
Basically, they allow rich Republican types to think that they can be adventurous because of the cool watch they wear. Notice how Rolex ads always talk about being an adventurer, or a pilot, etc.

:rofl: Why are rich people automatically 'republican types'. Good thing we are not stereotyping here.

binzing said:
Dive watches and actual aviation watches are always cool.

Rolex is famous because they were one of the first dive watches in the world back in the 50s.

I didn't say rich people=repub. types. I said "rich repub. types" as opposed to the "rich green or democrat types"

Well, they've gotten far to high on their hog.

Cyrus said:
How much do they cost? Also, the strap is also high grade stainless.
High-grade stainless is just an alloy of steel. It may contain chromium, nickel, vanadium, etc, but it is not expensive. And for comparison, I can buy a boule of synthetic sapphire for just a few bucks. I facet stones as a hobby, and although nice natural faceting rough is very expensive, the synthetic stuff is cheap enough to use in costume jewelry, and the labor spent in faceting the stone is FAR more expensive than the material.

binzing said:
Well, they've gotten far to high on their hog.

Meh, I don't really care about who buys what. I just care about the quality of a rolex.

I was a dive instructor, and the first thing dive instructors all do before putting on their wetsuit is remove their expensive dive watch and replace it with a cheap casio digital.

I do have a nice Victorinox watch that looks just like that one but only cost $200 - it was a present otherwise I would still have my casio calcualtor watch like a true nerd!

turbo-1 said:
High-grade stainless is just an alloy of steel. It may contain chromium, nickel, vanadium, etc, but it is not expensive. And for comparison, I can buy a boule of synthetic sapphire for just a few bucks. I facet stones as a hobby, and although nice natural faceting rough is very expensive, the synthetic stuff is cheap enough to use in costume jewelry, and the labor spent in faceting the stone is FAR more expensive than the material.

What would you say the cost of the raw material and labor for a rolex is, roughly?

Cyrus said:
What would you say the cost of the raw material and labor for a rolex is, roughly?
I can't tell you that, but I assume that the labor, precision tooling, etc, is at least 100x the cost of the materials. Other companies make very accurate high-quality watches with equivalent materials (or even with gold alloys or platinum) that don't cost $10,000.

mgb_phys said:
I was a dive instructor, and the first thing dive instructors all do before putting on their wetsuit is remove their expensive dive watch and replace it with a cheap casio digital.

I do have a nice Victorinox watch that looks just like that one but only cost $200 - it was a present otherwise I would still have my casio calcualtor watch like a true nerd!
My dive watch was a French-made Rovelli that I bought way back in the 1960s. I like it, but the case tends to snag on stuff when I've got my left had in tight places (mechanic work, etc), so it spends all its time in my dresser and the Luminox with its thinner smoother case gets used every day.

Well, its a good thing you good folks will donate till it hurts for my rolex fund. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thing is, craftsmanship used to matter when making watches, but with digital technology, fine watches are now nothing but jewelry.

A Rolex is like buying an expensive suit or expensive car. Sure, it looks nice, but in the end you spent 10x-100x the money on something a cheaper object could do easily.

Do you REALLY need that Porsche? Or that $4000 suit? No.

Honestly, what is going to scratch up the face of you watch, anyway? And why not just buy another one for $10 afterwards, instead of spending $10k on one?

If you value spending money on useless crap, then go ahead. Personally I'd take that $10k and go skydiving. I've always wanted to try it.

Rolex are crap. If someone gave me a "Rollie" for a present, I'd throw it on the ground at their feet and say "what am I supposed to do with this piece of ****?!"

The only watch for me:
http://www.finestwatches.com/patek-philippe-12364.html

please note: they take Visa :biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
Rolex are crap. If someone gave me a "Rollie" for a present, I'd throw it on the ground at their feet and say "what am I supposed to do with this piece of ****?!"

The only watch for me:
http://www.finestwatches.com/patek-philippe-12364.html

please note: they take Visa :biggrin:

There you go, Cyrus. For $38,300 you get a one-year warranty ( it had better last more than one year, for crying out loud!), and the description lists "Style: Complicated."

Here's a cool watch
http://www.pocketcalculatorshow.com/graphics/calcwatch15.jpg" [Broken]

edit: nevermind, stupid link doesn't work and it was a dumb joke anyway

lisab said:
There you go, Cyrus. For $38,300 you get a one-year warranty ( it had better last more than one year, for crying out loud!), and the description lists "Style: Complicated."

It gets better, because its mechanical, it has to be servied every 5 years. They take it appart and oil the inside and put it all back together, for $350 bucks.

However, my goal is not to sit back and say 'oh boy that's expensive' - I know it is. I wanted to see if it was worth the bang for the buck though. You get what you pay for, I wanted to see if this was one of those cases.

Last edited:
how much does a piece of canvas and some pigment cost? Is a Picasso a good investment?

Cyrus said:
I wanted to see if it was worth the bang for the buck though. You get what you pay for, I wanted to see if this was one of those cases.
Nope! Like Ivan said, you're paying for an expensive piece of jewelry. My Luminox is very rugged and is probably more accurate than a Rolex. At $140, it was more expensive than I would have liked but it's been a wonderful watch and I love the bright luminous dial.

I'd be unhappy if it were lost or stolen, but $140 wouldn't bust the budget and I'd run out and buy another one right away.

lisab said:
T and the description lists "Style: Complicated."

I love that! ALso: $38,000 +$300! What made them say "No, just $38,000 won't cover the margin. How about $38,299.99 ?

It all depends on your budget and if you think it's a good inversion.

I paid about $200 for a Citizen Calibre 8700, on sale at a closing jewelry store.

http://poze.cauti.ro/images/produse/cat_370/210x210/Ceasuri_Citizen_Calibre_8700__BL8000_54A_380238_1.jpg [Broken]

It looks a lot like the Rolex Cryus linked, but is solar-powered and will never need to be opened or serviced. My last Citizen watch lasted me eight years, and I only got rid of it because of the accumulated tiny scratches.

- Warren

<h2>1. What makes Rolex watches stand out in terms of quality?</h2><p>Rolex watches are known for their exceptional quality due to several factors. They are made with high-grade materials, such as 904L stainless steel and 18k gold, which make them more durable and resistant to corrosion. Additionally, Rolex has strict quality control measures in place, ensuring that every watch meets their standards before being released to the market. They also have a team of highly skilled and experienced watchmakers who meticulously craft each watch by hand, ensuring precision and accuracy.</p><h2>2. How does Rolex maintain the quality of their watches?</h2><p>Rolex maintains the quality of their watches through a combination of advanced technology and traditional watchmaking techniques. They use state-of-the-art equipment to test and calibrate each watch, ensuring that it meets their strict standards for accuracy and reliability. They also have a team of experts who perform regular maintenance and servicing on their watches to ensure they continue to function at their best.</p><h2>3. Are Rolex watches worth the high price tag?</h2><p>Many people wonder if Rolex watches are worth the high price tag, and the answer is subjective. While they may be more expensive than other watch brands, Rolex watches are known for their exceptional quality, craftsmanship, and prestige. They are also known to hold their value well, making them a good investment for some individuals. Ultimately, whether a Rolex watch is worth the price depends on the individual's personal preferences and budget.</p><h2>4. How can I authenticate a Rolex watch?</h2><p>Authenticating a Rolex watch can be a complex process, but there are a few key things to look for. First, check the serial and model numbers on the watch and compare them to official Rolex records. Next, examine the watch's materials and details, such as the weight, engravings, and markings, as these should be of high quality and precision. Finally, if possible, have the watch inspected by a certified Rolex dealer or expert to confirm its authenticity.</p><h2>5. Do all Rolex watches come with a warranty?</h2><p>Yes, all new Rolex watches come with a warranty that covers any manufacturing defects for a period of five years from the date of purchase. This warranty can be extended to ten years for certain models, such as the Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the Rolex Cellini. However, the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or damage caused by accidents or misuse. It is important to note that only authorized Rolex dealers can provide warranty services, so it is essential to purchase a Rolex watch from a reputable source.</p>

1. What makes Rolex watches stand out in terms of quality?

Rolex watches are known for their exceptional quality due to several factors. They are made with high-grade materials, such as 904L stainless steel and 18k gold, which make them more durable and resistant to corrosion. Additionally, Rolex has strict quality control measures in place, ensuring that every watch meets their standards before being released to the market. They also have a team of highly skilled and experienced watchmakers who meticulously craft each watch by hand, ensuring precision and accuracy.

2. How does Rolex maintain the quality of their watches?

Rolex maintains the quality of their watches through a combination of advanced technology and traditional watchmaking techniques. They use state-of-the-art equipment to test and calibrate each watch, ensuring that it meets their strict standards for accuracy and reliability. They also have a team of experts who perform regular maintenance and servicing on their watches to ensure they continue to function at their best.

3. Are Rolex watches worth the high price tag?

Many people wonder if Rolex watches are worth the high price tag, and the answer is subjective. While they may be more expensive than other watch brands, Rolex watches are known for their exceptional quality, craftsmanship, and prestige. They are also known to hold their value well, making them a good investment for some individuals. Ultimately, whether a Rolex watch is worth the price depends on the individual's personal preferences and budget.

4. How can I authenticate a Rolex watch?

Authenticating a Rolex watch can be a complex process, but there are a few key things to look for. First, check the serial and model numbers on the watch and compare them to official Rolex records. Next, examine the watch's materials and details, such as the weight, engravings, and markings, as these should be of high quality and precision. Finally, if possible, have the watch inspected by a certified Rolex dealer or expert to confirm its authenticity.

5. Do all Rolex watches come with a warranty?

Yes, all new Rolex watches come with a warranty that covers any manufacturing defects for a period of five years from the date of purchase. This warranty can be extended to ten years for certain models, such as the Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the Rolex Cellini. However, the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or damage caused by accidents or misuse. It is important to note that only authorized Rolex dealers can provide warranty services, so it is essential to purchase a Rolex watch from a reputable source.