Investigating the Quality of Rolex Watches

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, Rolex watches are very expensive and have a high value because of the materials used in the watch. The watch is also very durable and easy to read in the dark.
Pure Luck. I went to a crapy high school. I was walking down the hallway when I saw a poster on the wall for an engineering open house at Johns Hopkins for students. For whatever reason, I decided to ask my mom to drive me down there in the afternoon it was held. There were people at booths from different companies, etc. Like a career fair. I went to one of the tables and started talking to the guy there. I kept asking him question after question. How much do engineers make? (I wanted to be an architect at the time). Can I fly as an engineer? What kind of work do you do? I just kept asking questions. There was a lady standing next to him who was also at that table. She gave me her card and said, you ask a lot of good questions why don't you see what its like for a little while at the lab. I was like ok, sure why not. I called her and she asked me for my transcript. I gave it to her and she said, well...you don't have any programming experience. Take a programming class this summer and Ill get you an internship.

Actually, now that I type this I remember more. I was a junior. I needed an internship my senior year because I was in a leadership program and it was a requirement. So I was like, hey this will kill two birds with one stone.

Anyways, back to the story. So I signed up for a C++ class at a community college near my house and got an A. She then told me to write a resume. At the time I was not sure what to say, so I very hesitantly put that I fly model airplanes in my spare time. I almost did not even mention this. Turns out one department was working on UAVs and needed a pilot. So I was working on UAVs, plus I was down in the hypersonics wind tunnel watching them run tests in the test cells. They liked me, I liked them and I kept coming back.

Also, I would go there wearing a suit or dressed up, and they NOTICED this. One guy even said, one day you'll be all our boss.

So, work hard and love what you do. But always be professional. Even if everyone there dresses casual, guess what. The boss typically wears a suit.

I basically got very lucky to get that internship. Speaking of which, I should take that lady out for lunch sometime soon. Its been a while since I've seen her. (Thats my second advice to you, keep up with your contacts and those who helped you in life).

My work there got me into grad school. I applied to one place and got it. I didnt even give them a GRE because they wanted me for the simple fact that I had 4 years experience in what I wanted to do with a high gpa (3.96).

Work hard binzing, and you'll be running argone. You're smarter than you realize.

All you need is a little luck and a lot of hard work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like the Swiss Army brands. Mine is a Wenger that I got on sale a few years back. I removed the band and I carry it in my pocket. It's built like a little tank.

About Rolex watches:

A guy I've known since childhood, a genuine cheapskate, made a few million dollars in the cell phone business and retired at age forty. One day we met for lunch and he said,

"How do you like my new Rolex? Beautiful, isn't it?"

"A Rolex? You drive five miles out of your way to save two cents a gallon on gas, and you bought a Rolex?! How much did you pay for that thing?"

"Eighteen thousand dollars."

I kerplotzed.
I had to understand why a devout pennypincher would do such a thing, so I did some investigating. Here's what I learned:

First of all, the man who founded the Rolex company had no heirs so he created a charitable foundation and transferred ownership of Rolex to the foundation. This means that the money spent on a Rolex, minus the dealer mark up, goes to charity. That's rationalization number one.

Secondly, there's a real culture around Rolex, not unlike an exclusive club. And it's worldwide. It's the unmatched history, and the exclusivity, and the celebrity associations, and the company's long involvement with racing and other sponsored events (The model pictured in the first post is a Daytona chronograph designed for time trials). Some people are attracted to the uncommon, albeit not unique, mechanical functioning, such as the battery-free self-winding feature. (If your Rolex has a battery it's a fake). There's a common bond; strangers wearing Rolexes will strike up a conversation about the different models and bands, etc. And there are avid collectors, people who buy them not to wear but just for the pleasure of ownership. The company maintains records of each owner's name, address and the watch's serial number. There was a case involving an unidentifiable body fished out of the sea near the UK some years ago. The only clue was the Rolex he was wearing. The serial number was sent to the company and they identified him as a man who had been reported missing from Canada. All this from a watch.

Then there's the personal satisfaction that's more of an individual thing. I think of Rolex as being the self-made man's watch, and something like Patek Phillipe being more for old money and dandies like Frasier and Niles Crane. A Rolex is a relatively inexpensive way for a man to prove to the world and to himself that he's arrived. Veni Vidi Vici.

I think it depends with whom you associate. A Rolex as a status symbol would be lost on me as I am so used to fakes, I don't even notice. I'm more likely to notice and appreciate someone wearing a Movado watch. Very classy, understated elegance.

Evo said:
I think it depends with whom you associate. A Rolex as a status symbol would be lost on me as I am so used to fakes, I don't even notice. I'm more likely to notice and appreciate someone wearing a Movado watch. Very classy, understated elegance.

Those are nice.

http://www.lifeinthefreshlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/movado-mens-luno-watch.jpg

I just like that daytona though. Its perfect. I don't see it ever going out of style.

Last edited by a moderator:
"What time is it, honey?"
"Black."

or

"White dot."

Poop-Loops said:
"Black."

or

"White dot."
It means that a man has to be able to think to tell the time. An added plus. It's not that hard to tell time on a watch like that. The one is the picture is 10:10. Whenever I see this watch on a man , I do a double take, a Movado Museum watch shows class.

Evo, you're so cute. Here you are, amongst aspiring and established scientists and engineers (not to mention one yourself), and you say that it takes thought to tell time on a watch without any numbers on it. :smile:

Evo said:
It means that a man has to be able to think to tell the time. An added plus. It's not that hard to tell time on a watch like that. The one is the picture is 10:10. Whenever I see this watch on a man , I do a double take, a Movado Museum watch shows class.

Next time I go to the mall I am going to ask to try some on. I am not going to buy it, but ill see how it looks. I did that at the BMW dealership once. I went with my friend. We were 'interested' in test driving the red convertable 3-series -it drove nice :biggrin:.

http://www.cardotcom.com/cars/images01/m3convertible04.jpg

Really, really nice car. Steering is great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007RTBWO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thats a nice watch, and much more 'reasonable' in price for a good watch. BTW, where are my donations? I am still FAR from the 10k needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops said:
Evo, you're so cute. Here you are, amongst aspiring and established scientists and engineers (not to mention one yourself), and you say that it takes thought to tell time on a watch without any numbers on it. :smile:
You'd be surprised at some of the men I've known. :uhh:

Cyrus, they are a very high quality watch, and reasonably priced. Last time I priced one, it was only $1,800.00 for one with an 18K gold case, with leather band.

I used to have a BMW, I loved it. It just glowed orange and hummed. :approve: Of course, just a routine scheduled tune up was $500. But they would take me out to lunch at a very swanky restaurant for free while I was waiting. When I started driving SAABs, no free lunch, but I got to drive a new model all day while mine was in the shop.

Last edited:
No gold. I hate gold. I like that one because its black and steel. I like that modern look. Gold is too 'old man' looking.

I don't like anything gold. Just gray and silvers with black and white. Thats why I like that daytona. It looks awesome, not tacky and not big and flashy.

I don't like flashy things either. I just like nice things of high quality that are simple.

The one on the link was $412 bucks. Thats still a lot of money, but its not 2k or 10k.

If I ever buy a watch, I want to buy one watch and have it last a long time and be done with it.

Last edited:
Do you like this? http://www.movado.com/Details.aspx?Id=watchesmens&watchType=Mens&watchCode=&watchId=605038&page=0

Or check these these out if you want something more complex

http://www.movado.com/Watches.aspx?Id=series800

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
No gold. I hate gold. I like that one becuase its black and steel. I like that modern look. Gold is too 'old man' looking.

I don't like anything gold. Just gray and silvers with black and white. Thats why I like that daytona. It looks awesome, not tacky and not big and flashy.

I don't like flashy things either. I just like nice things of high quality that are simple.

The one on the link was $412 bucks. Thats still a lot of money, but its not 2k or 10k.

If I ever buy a watch, I want to buy one watch and have it last a long time and be done with it.
Cyrus, just buy a Luminox and get it over with. The Captain's field watch is laid back and understated, but you can get as flamboyant and flashy as you want (blech!). You get a watch that is simple, usable all day or night, and self-serviceable.

Cyrus, Hugo Boss has a line of Movado watches.

turbo-1 said:
Cyrus, just buy a Luminox and get it over with. The Captain's field watch is laid back and understated, but you can get as flamboyant and flashy as you want (blech!). You get a watch that is simple, usable all day or night, and self-serviceable.

But for anything over $200, I don't want laid back. I am paying for an expensive watch at that point, and I want it to look very modern and stylish, but simple. I think the movado does just that.

I basically want a good watch to wear with a suit that's not 10k, or even 2k. That movado is under $500. Thats probably the upper end of what I would spend on a fine watch.

Also, these movados are also pricey. Whats in them that makes them so expensive, or is it simply the name brand?

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
But for anything over $200, I don't want laid back. I am paying for an expensive watch at that point, and I want it to look very modern and stylish, but simple. I think the movado does just that.

I basically want a good watch to wear with a suit.
Forget price-points (a fiction of our retail system) and forget "style" (a concept created to to separate the bourgeois and the poseurs from their money). Instead, set your own standards. You can have style and function and durability without busting the bank AND without appearing ostentatious.

Cyrus said:

I basically want a good watch to wear with a suit that's not 10k, or even 2k. That movado is under $500. Thats probably the upper end of what I would spend on a fine watch.

Also, these movados are also pricey. Whats in them that makes them so expensive, or is it simply the name brand?
They have an excellent reputation. The crystal is sapphire. They are a precision swiss made watch and they are museum quality.

Movado, one of the most celebrated watch brands in the world, traces its origins to the small village of La Chaux-de-faunds, Switzerland where, in 1881, a young watchmaker named Achille Ditesheim hired six assistants and opened a small workshop. He called his company Movado, a word which means, roughly, "always in motion." The company grew and prospered, evolving from a small pocketwatch manufacturer into a leading innovator and designer of precision wristwatches. Throughout its history, Movado has maintained its place at the pinnacle of innovation and excellence in design, craftsmanship and technology. Movado watches are crafted by highly-skilled watchmakers to meet the exacting standards of Swiss time technology. They are accurate to within seconds a year. All Movado watches are sealed and protected against water, moisture and dust, and individually tested to meet strict international standards of quality. A long-time dedicated supporter of the arts, Movado has, itself, been the recipient of over 200 international awards. Movado watches can now be found in the permanent collections of over 20 museums worldwide.
Not only are they eye catchingly different, they are sleek, elegant and understated. You will find them advertised in only the finest magazines. Yet, they are still priced within reason.

Last edited:
I'll stick with my Mickey Mouse watch, thank you very much.

Evo said:
It means that a man has to be able to think to tell the time. An added plus. It's not that hard to tell time on a watch like that. The one is the picture is 10:10.
No way, it's 10:07! :biggrin: If I'm going to wear a watch, I don't want approximate times...I want to know if I have 2 min to grab a cup of coffee on the way to a meeting, or if I should hurry up and tiptoe in because I'm already 2 min late...I wouldn't be able to tell that well on that watch.
Whenever I see this watch on a man , I do a double take, a Movado Museum watch shows class.
You just don't specify WHICH class. :rofl: To me, it would indicate a guy who likes jewelry and appearance over functionality. I prefer a guy who goes for function before decoration.

Evo said:
...and they are museum quality.

What exactly does that mean in a watch? Should it be protected in a glass case and never touched?

Seriously, I like tribdog's idea of a Mickey Mouse watch better than a Movado or Rolex (yes, even with a suit). It tells me he can think for himself, set his own style, has a sense of humor/knows how to have fun, and isn't stuck up about status symbols.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Forget price-points (a fiction of our retail system) and forget "style" (a concept created to to separate the bourgeois and the poseurs from their money). Instead, set your own standards. You can have style and function and durability without busting the bank AND without appearing ostentatious.

But I did set my own standard. No gold, not flashy, modern, with an elegant look. I can't "forget style", I mentioned earlier I was going to be an architect before I went into engineering. Style is VERY important to me. I think that movado does everything you describe in your last statement and is priced close to the watch you showed me.

A watch that is formal enough to look good in a suit, but casual to wear every day at time same time.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
No way, it's 10:07! :biggrin: If I'm going to wear a watch, I don't want approximate times...I want to know if I have 2 min to grab a cup of coffee on the way to a meeting, or if I should hurry up and tiptoe in because I'm already 2 min late...I wouldn't be able to tell that well on that watch.

Considering most meetings don't take place at odd times like 10:17, I am pretty sure you can tell when its every 15 mins and interpolate inbetween. Its really not that hard, as Evo said.

You just don't specify WHICH class. :rofl: To me, it would indicate a guy who likes jewelry and appearance over functionality. I prefer a guy who goes for function before decoration.

A watch is the only 'jewelery' a man should wear because its functional.

Seriously, I like tribdog's idea of a Mickey Mouse watch better than a Movado or Rolex (yes, even with a suit). It tells me he can think for himself, set his own style, has a sense of humor/knows how to have fun, and isn't stuck up about status symbols.

I don't see how that's being 'stuck up about status symbols'. Its called taste and a sense of style. I am not going to attend any formal dinners with a mickey mouse watch. I never said I wanted to go around flashing a gold and diamond rolex saying 'hey look at me!'

There is a time and a place to wear it. If its not flashy, you can wear it every day and most people wouldn't even notice, and THATS what I am willing to pay for. A watch that can pull that off.

Last edited: