Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Roll angle of a ship

1. Jun 23, 2016 #1
    I have been on the hunt looking for a precise equation that gives you the angle that a ship is displaced along its x-axis (roll). There is a somewhat simple equation:

Roll angle (Θ) : Θ = Acos( ωt+ φ)------where A is the amplitude of the wave, ω is the frequency and φ is the phase chage.

So what would time be??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rolling motion of a ship is generally a non-linear phenomenon. For small angles, the rolling motion may be linearized approximately so that it corresponds roughly to simple harmonic motion, like what a pendulum experiences when it is disturbed from the equilibrium position.

I don't know where you obtained the equation in your post, but A is generally not the amplitude of the incident wave. What this equation is telling you is that the roll angle of the vessel is periodic in time, with a certain amplitude of roll, frequency, and phase w.r.t. some other datum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted