What would a realistic sci-fi series look like in a post-disaster world?

In summary: thinks that one of the most appealing aspects of Star Trek is the optimistic approach towards the future of humanity, unlike most contemporary sci-fi stories. I think that still applies today. All those apocalypse scenarios usually put you in a pessimistic atmosphere to start with, rather than "careless" exploration of space. We have battles for survival and so on, and I certainly like the realistic technology part. Of course, with enough imagination anything is possible.
Raavin
I've been thinking for a while about a Sci-fi series. Sort of trek like but with more believable concepts. Since the arrival of "Enterprise" I think there is room for a good show.

This is the idea.

At some time in the not too distant future, there is some sort of world disaster (not too much of a stretch given the current state of affairs). While bunkers etc. are being developed on earth, the world powers want to cover all bases and send generational ships to eventually find another planet to colonise.

Perhaps the 'stay on earth' bit would be a good enough start and not worry about the ship. Basically though, what we are after is an excuse for a 'cutting edge of technology' situation, using reasonable extrapolation of current technology. The techno bit would be purely background. Sort of like trek, the show would just be about human dramas, hopefully a bit better than trek, but in a different setting. So, for example, you might have cop stories or relationship stories and it might be a bit dirtier than other sci-fi. The look might be a bit more like a mix of Bladerunner, Aliens etc. but no aliens or replicants. Just real people living real lives under extreme and high tech circumstances.

Any thoughts??

Raavin [?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings !

I think that one of the most appealing aspects
of Star Trek is the optimistic approach towards
the future of humanity, unlike most contemporary
sci-fi stories. I think that still applies today.

All those apocalypse scenarios ussualy put you in
a pessimistic atmosphere to start with and
instead of "careless" exploration of space
we have battles for survival and so on.

I certainly like the realistic technology part
(wouldn't though if you asked me years ago... ).

Of course, with enough imagination anything
is possible...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

I think that one of the most appealing aspects
of Star Trek is the optimistic approach towards
the future of humanity, unlike most contemporary
sci-fi stories. I think that still applies today.

All those apocalypse scenarios ussualy put you in
a pessimistic atmosphere to start with and
instead of "careless" exploration of space
we have battles for survival and so on.

I see your point. One of the ideas I had was to have the series set quite a while after the 'apocolypse', for want of a better term. This might give time for a more positive outlook to develop, looking toward a brighter future and all that. Maybe giving the sense of a clean slate was what I was after. I think shows like Third watch are still appealing but not in the same sense. The idea that there were loosely related people who got involved in their own dramas. There is a site somewhere where the bit part actors in Trek series' are the stars in their own stories.

Things like the fact that all of the commanders of a Trek ship go into the most dangerous situations and the hundreds of others on the ship seem to do nothing always seems wierd.

Raavin

i think it would be a show that will have a wide range of viewers it is like the X-files well not the plot but the way that it appeeled to many poepel now i never got into the scifi shows but i like the X-files...your show will stretch our technology not create completely new concepts

X-files is the feel and appeal I'm after. A future sort of like Bladerunner but without the replicants. The stories wouldn't really be based around technology as such, but the 'world' would contain it. For example, a character's parent might be having heart problems and go through the whole ER-esque drama of potentially losing a loved one during surgery to receive an artificial or animal heart. The technology would not be mentioned in detail as the emotional drama would be the focus. The technology would be well known to the characters so wouldn't be treated as anything huge in the show, but it would be mentioned.

Raavin

1. What is the process of creating a sci-fi series from scratch?

Creating a sci-fi series involves several key steps. First, come up with a compelling concept that will engage viewers. Then, develop a detailed plot and characters for your series. Next, consider the setting and world-building elements, such as technology and societal norms. Finally, write the script and begin production.

2. How important is scientific accuracy in a sci-fi series?

The level of scientific accuracy in a sci-fi series can vary depending on the tone and themes of the show. While some viewers may appreciate a more realistic approach, others may be more interested in the fantastical elements of sci-fi. It is important to strike a balance and maintain internal consistency within the world you have created.

3. How can I make my sci-fi series stand out from others?

To make your sci-fi series stand out, focus on creating unique and complex characters, thought-provoking themes, and a compelling plot. Additionally, incorporating elements of social commentary or exploring current societal issues can add depth to your series and make it stand out from others.

4. What are some common tropes to avoid when creating a sci-fi series?

Some common sci-fi tropes to avoid include overly simplistic or stereotypical characters, predictable plots, and reliance on clichéd or outdated technology. It is also important to avoid cultural appropriation and to be mindful of diversity and representation in your series.

5. How can I ensure my sci-fi series appeals to a wide audience?

One way to ensure your sci-fi series appeals to a wide audience is to incorporate elements from different genres, such as drama, action, or romance. It is also important to write multi-dimensional characters that audiences can relate to, regardless of their interest in sci-fi. Additionally, consider using universal themes and messages that can resonate with viewers of all backgrounds.