Exploring the Rolle Theorem: Examples and Explanations

• Thread starter haya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Rolle Theorem states that if a function meets certain conditions, there will be a point on the interval where the derivative is equal to zero. Examples can be given for when the first two conditions are satisfied but the third is not, but it is impossible to find an example for when the first and third conditions are satisfied but not the second, as this would require a function to be discontinuous on an open interval but differentiable on that same interval, which is not possible in mathematics.
haya

Homework Statement

the rolle theorem said :
suppose
(i) F(X) is continuous on colse interval (a,b)

(ii) F(X) is differentiable on open interval ( a,b)

(iii) F(a)=F(b)

then there is c on (a,b) such that F`(c)=0

the question is give an example :

1- satisfied (i) (ii) and not satisfy (i) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

2-satisfied (i) (iii) and not satisfy (ii) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

3-satisfied (ii) (iii) and not satisfy (i) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

I got answers each 1 and 2 but on 3 how can I got it
because if the function discontinous then so it is non diffrentiable on (a,b).

Physics news on Phys.org
haya said:

Homework Statement

the rolle theorem said :
suppose
(i) F(X) is continuous on colse interval (a,b)
That's not a closed interval. You mean [a, b].

(ii) F(X) is differentiable on open interval ( a,b)

(iii) F(a)=F(b)

then there is c on (a,b) such that F`(c)=0

the question is give an example :

1- satisfied (i) (ii) and not satisfy (i) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

2-satisfied (i) (iii) and not satisfy (ii) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

3-satisfied (ii) (iii) and not satisfy (i) and explain why c is not on the interval (a,b)?

I got answers each 1 and 2 but on 3 how can I got it
because if the function discontinous then so it is non diffrentiable on (a,b).
But, as I pointed out above that is NOT a closed interval. Can you think of a function that is differentiable on (a, b) but NOT continuous on [a, b]? Of course, that depends precisely upon the difference between (a, b) and [a, b].

yes I mean closed interval [a,b]

for example F(x)= 1/x on [0,2]

F(x) is discontinuos at x=0

F(x) is differentiable on (0,2)

and thank you so much

haya said:
for example F(x)= 1/x on [0,2]
This example does not satisfy (iii) since [itex]?=F(0)\neq F(2)=1/2[/itex]

Try F(x)= 1/x on (0, 2], F(0)= 1/2.

yes it is satisfyed the theorem

I still thinking about this question

but we know if the function is not continuous then it is not diffrentiable

so the answer of question (3) is will be no example because he want the function be discontinuous on interval [a,b] and diffrentiable on (a,b) that's never ever will happen in mathematics

The function in our example is continuous everywhere except at zero. At zero however, it is not required to be differentiable, so no problem.

could you give other example :

the example will be in discontinuoty on [a,b]
but differentiable on (a,b)

ok

I will be greatfull for you if give me the example
because this qeustion from the homework and tomorrow is the due day

You're correct, to the point where if the function is differentiable on (a,b) it's continuous on (a,b). Hence the only discontinuities can be at the endpoint. Examples are usually just continuous functions on (a,b) with the endpoints f(a) and f(b) redefined. Such as (a=0,b=1)

f(x)=x on (0,1) f(0)=f(1)=1
f(x)=sin(x) on (0,1) f(0)=2 f(1)=-3
f(x)=ex on (0,1) f(0)=1 f(1)=0

1. What is the Rolle Theorem?

The Rolle Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a continuous function has equal values at two points and is differentiable on the interval between those points, then there must exist at least one point within that interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How is the Rolle Theorem used in mathematics?

The Rolle Theorem is used in mathematics to prove the existence of critical points in a function. It is also used to prove the Mean Value Theorem, which is a crucial theorem in calculus.

3. Can you provide an example of the Rolle Theorem in action?

One example of the Rolle Theorem is the function f(x) = x^2 - 4x + 3, which has equal values at x = 1 and x = 3. The derivative of this function is f'(x) = 2x - 4, which is equal to zero at x = 2. Therefore, according to the Rolle Theorem, there must be at least one point within the interval [1,3] where the derivative is equal to zero.

4. What are the conditions that must be met for the Rolle Theorem to be applicable?

The Rolle Theorem is applicable if the function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and differentiable on the open interval (a, b). Additionally, the function must have equal values at the endpoints of the interval (f(a) = f(b)).

5. How does the Rolle Theorem relate to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Rolle Theorem is a special case of the Intermediate Value Theorem. While the Rolle Theorem requires the function to have equal values at the endpoints of the interval, the Intermediate Value Theorem only requires the function to be continuous on the interval. Therefore, all applications of the Rolle Theorem can also be proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem, but not vice versa.