1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller coaster for a golf ball

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    I have to make a roller coaster for a golf ball. It has to be made out of recycled materials. This also means no materials for construction (but chicken wire is allowed) and no prefabricated materials (Legos, Kenex, etc)
    2 loops, 2 hills. Each hill has to be 20 cm height change.
    Can anyone give me suggestions on materials and what is the best way to build this type of contraption. I really do not have many tools and am trying to do this mostly with cardboard, but it isn't working out very well.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So, in addition to chicken wire netting you are allowed to use cardboard. What other materials are you allowed to use?

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    Anything that is not commercial or purchased. We can not use any type of pre-fabricated materials, and we are not allowed to go to home depot to purchase anything. The only wood we can use is on the base, not as support for the contraption.
    I am having a hard time finding sturdy enough support to create this coaster.

5. Dec 16, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It seems to me that with cardboard, newspaper, and water (and enough time for things to dry) it should be pretty easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted